29

SPOILS OF WAR
— 29. Downward Spiral

  On the ship ride back to Kattegat, Tova sat near Ragnar and Athelstan

  On the ship ride back to Kattegat, Tova sat near Ragnar and Athelstan. "Tell us about Paris," Ragnar told Athelstan, a fascinated look on his face.

"Again?" Athelstan asked, smiling at the duo.

"Please," Ragnar insisted, smiling back at Athelstan.

"I only went there once," Athelstan began, glancing between then.

"Continue," Ragnar encouraged him, already intrigued.

"I was visiting a monastery in Frankia, outside of Paris. And one day, the monks took me to see it. It was amazing. It just appears as if it rises out of the water," Athelstan began to explain and Tova smiled in admiration, "I've never in my whole life seen anything like it. It was like a dream. It has these huge walls, and inside the walls are these buildings made of marble and stone and churches, such churches. I remember the clamor of their bells, calling the faithful to prayer."

"But what I remember more is the beautiful women," Athelstan confessed, causing Tova to give him an impressed look.

"You never told me that part before!" Ragnar responded, an amused look on his face.

"I almost questioned my vows of celibacy," Athelstan admitted and Tova laughed in amusement.

"The two of you are lucky," Ragnar commented, causing Tova and Athelstan to give him a puzzled look.

"Why?" They asked them in unison, both of them confused.

"Because you have never been married," Ragnar pointed out and Tova shook her head in response.

"I could be," Tova reminded him in a calm tone as she shrugged her shoulders, "If I chose to."

"Well, don't, trust me. You will regret it," Ragnar commented, a disappointed look on his face, "I would not come back here if it weren't for my children."

"At least you have children," Tova muttered under her breath as she looked out onto the water, causing Ragnar to give her a sympathetic look.

____

  It wasn't long before they arrived in Kattegat. When they did, Tova rushed to climb off the boat and glanced around eagerly, searching for her mother. "Siggy?" She called out as she continued to look around, "Siggy! Siggy, where are you?"

"Tova," Aslaug suddenly called out from where she stood beside Ragnar when Tova was about to walk past them, "Tova!"

"Where is my mother? I cannot find her," Tova complained and before she could continue to walk away, Aslaug grabbed her by the arm.

"Tova!" She called out loudly and Tova turned to her, frowning, "Your mother is dead."

"What?" Tova asked softly, beginning to tear up as she shook her head, "No. No, that can't be true."