9

SPOILS OF WAR
— 9. Infidelity

   Upon the orders of King Horik after Ragnar made an alliance with the man, Tova and Bjorn were among those who joined Ragnar on his journey to see Jarl Borg, an enemy of King Horik

Upon the orders of King Horik after Ragnar made an alliance with the man, Tova and Bjorn were among those who joined Ragnar on his journey to see Jarl Borg, an enemy of King Horik. They sailed by ship a part of the way and then by horseback.

By the time they reached Jarl Borg's, they were drenched in water from the freezing rain. They stood together, shivering. They looked ahead to see Jarl Borg standing there, speaking with some of his men as they paid no mind to Ragnar and the others.

"Why don't they let us dry ourselves and get harm?" Floki asked, his teeth chattering as his whole body shook, "If I stay like this, I will rust."

"What kind of fellow is this Jarl Borg?" Rollo asked in a low tone, beginning to glare at the man who sat at the other end of the hall, "This is no way to treat guests, whoever they are."

"Especially if they've been traveling for days on end," Arne commented and Tova nodded in agreement as she stood beside Bjorn and Ragnar.

Soon enough, Jarl Borg turned, looking eyes on the men, Bjorn, and Tova. He gestured for them to walk forward, which they ended up doing.

They rushed over to the first, where Tova and Bjorn sat beside each other. They leaned against each other in front of the fire, trying to provide each other extra warmth.

"Are you the emissaries from King Horik?" Jarl Borg asked and the silence he received gave him his answer, "Well, I can tell you at once you're wasting your time. It's my land and I want it returned to me. That's all I have to say."

"He wants to make peace with you and come to some king of agreement," Ragnar informed him in a calm tone.

"Then tell him if he leaves my land, we can have peace," Jarl Borg responded in a cold tone, "But not before."

Ragnar smiled and nodded his head slightly. "How can you make peace, Jarl Borg, if you insist on humiliating him?" He asked, beginning to chuckle in amusement.

"If I invade and defeat, will he not be even more humiliated?" Jarl Borg retorted and Tova turned, exchanging to look with Bjorn.

The men around them began to laugh and Tova rolled her eyes at them.

"Not if he fights well," Ragnar commented, smiling at Jarl Borg teasingly, "In any case, I am sure that he would relish a fight."

Jarl Borg stared at Ragnar suspiciously. As he did so, he tapped his mug of ale on the table he was sitting at three times before standing up. He walked toward Ragnar, leading to the man standing up. "What's your name?"

"Ragnar Lothbrok," He informed Jarl Borg, whose eyes immediately lit up at the revelation.

"You are Ragnar Lothbrok, the one who sailed west?" He asked, staring at Ragnar closely.