a glimpse of her

Everyone was busy with the preparations, even more so because Archer's parents would be visiting from the Council.

I've met his mom a few times growing up, she was sweet and nice, a complete contrast of her mate. Archer's dad was strict, I'm not sure if I've ever seen him smile. Although it seems that he was still a good Alpha because everyone seems to be expecting their return.

Archer's dad was appointed as a Council member right when Archer turned 18 and able to inherit the title of Alpha. It seems that he's been a long time candidate to become a part of the Council.

For the past few days, we thought that all the troubles would have died down, but it was the contrary. Luna Hannah, Alpha Ian's mate was officially declared as the moon goddess's warrior and that's when I truly realized that there's no turning back.

I was planning on telling Archer about Effyía, but we were both busy on each of our tasks and he was needed even more so by other packs since the Council was starting to acknowledge the problem of the Strays. I mean... it took them long enough.

Despite all the things that must be done for the ceremony which was to take place the day after tomorrow, I was so glad that everyone lended a helping hand. I know it wouldn't be possible without them.

The sky was dark now and I was just coming back from an after dinner run because Archer still had to finish a pile of work and meet with another pack. As I was heading back home, I made a quick turn towards the Luna Flumine hoping that I could get a clue of anything.

I wasn't expecting to see Jessica there, staring at the water and I knew the look way too well. After all, it hadn't been too long when I must've had the same look on my face.

When she sensed me, she immediately looked around and found me.

I could sense her growing hostile and she was already building her walls of defense around her.

"Hi." I tried to start a conversation but she only looked at me. I took a deep breath and looked at the ground before approaching her.

Maybe this was the time to talk to her.

"What are you doing out here? Have you eaten yet?"

"Stop-- stop playing nice." she says, her words hard and defensive.

My eyebrows must've met briefly. "I'm just asking how you're doing, Jessica. I'm not playing nice, I'm genuinely concerned about you."

She scoffs and rolls her eyes at me, but I could see that she was hurting. I don't why I haven't seen this before but now that I was looking at this girl in front of me that tried so hard to bring me down, all I could feel was... pity.

"No you're not. You hate me. Right? You hate me?" she asked.

I stared at her for a bit, remembering the past and I couldn't help but chuckle and look down. And then I shook my head in response to her burning question.

"I wanted to, I really did. But I don't. And to be honest, I was jealous, I was angry and upset, but I don't hate you. Jessica scrunched her face, clearly not believing me. But then she thought for a while and started nodding as if she was coming into agreement with herself, as if she was coming into a realization.

"I see how it is..." she says, taking a few steps back and looking completely defeated.

"Did he tell you? That I rejected my mate for him?" with the mention of this, her tears start to fall. "That I thought that he would the same for me? I thought all of this was just a mistake, but it seems my delusions got the better of me again. He was all I had, Hazel. He is all I have."

I was surprised with her honesty, I was surprised with the vulnerability that she was so freely showing me right now. From the past few months, she always showed a strong front, she always made me feel intimidated, but now I'm seeing a glimpse of who she truly was, of who the Jessica that Archer was familiar with.

I tried to approach her by taking a step towards her, but I could see she didn't like that so I stopepd.

"No, Jessica. You have your friends here in the pack, I've met them. You have your pack. You have so much more, but you only allowed yourself to see that Archer was the only one you had. You only allowed Archer in your life."

Through her shed tears, she looked up to me with such irritation and spite telling me that I was overstepping my boundaries.

"Stop talking like you know me! You know nothing. You know nothing of what Archer and I had--" she grabbed her hair in definite frustration and her knees seemed to give up on her so she fell to the ground.

"We could've had everything. Only if--" she sobbed and looked at me straight in the eyes and somehow I could predict her next words. Only if he would reject me.

That's when I had to take offense. I walked towards her and kneeled in front of her so that we could be at eye level.

"Archer is my mate, Jessica. We were destined and you weren't. You were destined for someone else and you chose to let that go, that was your decision. And just because that happened to you doesn't mean that you have to ruin Archer and I, Jessica."

I spoke calmly, but still carried weight in my words. I tried my best to answer her back without getting mad at her because it was what she needed.

Although she treated me with contempt and with every intention to make me look like the bad one, I wouldn't do the same to her. I refuse to.

She let my words sink in as she looked down.

"I can't do this anymore." she sobbed and I didn't like the tone of her voice, she spoke as if she truly had nobody and nothing left.

"I don't really know you, but you've made it this far. You can continue going on from now on, it's not too late." I said and got up.

"No, no, no. I already-- he already--" she started getting anxious and agitated. I had a feeling that the 'he' that she was talking about was her mate that she rejected. "He hates me." she repeated over and over again.

I didn't talk and I let her mumble on until she calmed down.

"Take control from here on out, Jessica." I said and extended my hand in front of her to help her up, she looked up to me and stared at my hand.

In the end, she chose to get up on her own and turned from me to walk away. Before leaving, she stopped to turn to me.

"I'm sorry."

That was all she said before turning away to finally leave.

After that, I found myself just staring at her back that was walking away.

And for the first time since I came here, that was the first proper conversation I ever had with the girl who had been trying so hard to come between my mate and I.