where it began

||— A R C H E R —

||— A R C H E R —⌲

*night time

2 years ago

I breathed in and out as I finally decided to get out of the car. I'd rather be anywhere than here, a stupid party.

The party was held every year, the hosting pack was always different and this year was particularly a bigger party than the last ones. After all, it was a party aimed to help young werewolves meet their mates.

I am currently twenty-two years old, an Alpha and one that doesn't have a Luna just yet. My parents sent me here in hopes that I would find my mate, but I wasn't particularly thrilled by it.

If you ask me, I am not the most prepared with meeting my mate. I still have some baggages that aren't quite loaded off my shoulders and meeting my mate would complicate that. Especially with all the rumours going on about me.

Thankfully, Allan decided to come along or else, I would be bored. My only consolation was that at least I'd meet up with a few Alphas here, maybe I could strike a deal with some of them.

But the moment I stepped in the ballroom, I felt something different.

The place was filled with hundreds of werewolf from different packs and so all sorts of scents has mixed in, not to mention the food and smoke that swirled around too, but still there was a particular scent that stood out.

It was distinct, it was pure and sweet. In a chaotic environment, it was soothing.

"What is that scent?" I turn to Allan who had just grabbed a glass from a passing waiter.

"What do you mean? This? Apparently it's human alcohol, but it doesn't taste too strong." he answered. And with that, I arrived to the conclusion that I must be the only one who noticed it because there was no way a scent like this would be ignored by Allan and everyone else around us.

Just like that, I left my Beta and walked around the room. My agenda of meeting with the other Alphas was now gone, my new mission of finding the owner of the scent rose above all.

Just what is that? Is it a spell? Are they using illegal substances here?

The longer I was exposed to the scent, the more my senses were heightened. My chest started feeling an unfamiliar boost in its beating, as if an excitement. It reminded me of my very first shift, but this one was a bit different. A bit more... I-- I can't explain it.

As I surfed from the crowd and pushed away the people that approached me, I was starting to lose hope that I would find the owner of the scent.

Frustrated, I decided to stand still and try my best to pinpoint where it was coming from, what I should have done from the beginning.