a walk to the past

For the next few days, my stay had been pretty much just me returning to the places I used to go to and people feeding me everywhere

I was glad that people started opening to me about the issues of the pack. They didn't expressly ask for help, but I could hear their unsaid pleas for help and that strengthened my resolve to try and help them in a way I can.

One of the things that shocked me the most was to find out that Frances stepped down as the pack doctor. I immediately went to find her after hearing the news. In fact, she had stepped down about a month after I had left the pack.

I barged in her home, not caring if it was rude, I needed to find out why she would do that.

"Why would you step down?!" I asked her, hoping that she didn't step down because of what happened to me.

Frances was shocked by my sudden disturbance, but when she kept looking away from me, I knew that my guess must've been correct.

"I always doubted if I was good enough for such an important position..." Frances said and looked back at me with a sad smile, "it was a personal choice Hazel, please don't take it in the wrong way."

"And are you happy with that choice?" I ask her, staring right into her eyes. When her gaze wavered, I had my answer. But she looked away again. I walked towards her. "Frances, sometimes things happen and we don't know the reason why. Sometimes you can't save everyone." I started.

"Frances, look at me." I held her by both arms and forced her to look at me and when she did, I spoke again. "What happened to me was one of those sometimes, so don't blame yourself, please."

She looked down, her eyes teary and she took a deep breath. "Th-thank you..."

"And if it was a personal choice, I respect that, but please, the pack needs you. You're one of the best doctors I've met." I tell her and hug her.

When we both let go, she smiled at me. "Thank you, Hazel. Really..." I smile back at her.

"It's nothing. I know this was your dream, I just don't want you to let it go because of something that was unforeseen."

I stayed at Frances house for a few more minutes as we talked some more. I was able to get more information about the current pack's state and although she was hesitant to answer at first, I pressed the answers out of her.

When it was getting late, I decided to finally leave, the kitchen helps might be wondering where I am now. As I was walking down the front yard, Frances called out to me once more, causing me to turn to her.

"The pack needs you too."

My smile faltered a bit, but I held it and nodded before bidding her goodbye once more.

I started walking back to the pack house, Frances' last words weighed heavily on me. It's true, the pack needs a Luna, a pack can only go so long without one, but what surprises me is how big the consequences are.