maybe just maybe

I was up at night replaying my conversation with Archer. Again and again.

He said he missed me and that he missed me everyday. I would be lying if that didn't set of butterflies in stomach like a fourteen year old getting confessed to, but I didn't even have the guts to answer him.

He stared at me, waiting for me to say something, that maybe I missed him back, but I didn't reply. And even if I did, would it have changed anything?

Instead, he changed the topic and reminded me that everyone was waiting for me at the pack house and we walked back together, although we didn't really talk much.

The silence between us was heavy and I know that both of us wanted to ask many things from each other, but the pandora box remained unopened.

Days passed after that and although I didn't get many chances to talk to him personally after, I was relieved to find that I saw him in my field of vision a bit more.

He sometimes joined us during the pack lunches or dinners and once he sat beside me so I wasn't able to eat as much as I would have wanted. I also saw him around the pack more now so it kind of confirmed my suspicions that he was probably avoiding me when I first arrived here.

Nonetheless, I helped out in the pack to fill my boring days although everyone was telling me not to. The pack was too kind to let me do any work, but I insisted. After all, it would've been my duty had I not left.

Today, I was helping out at the elderly care. Since it was afternoon, I was spending my time with Ms. Jacklyn who was knit stitching a scarf for her son who worked as a pack guard. She was teaching me on how to do it and since I was a quick learner, I got too engrossed in stitching up the yarns.

I would get frustrated when I had to restart a line because I messed up the sequence of the stitching to which the older lady simply laughed and continued on. I don't understand how she already had half a scarf made while I mine won't even pass as a handkerchief.

Taking up the challenge, I focused on it once more until Ms. Jacklyn spoke.

"So how long more will you be staying, Hazel?" she asked me, looking up from her artwork to smile at me. The question was harmless, but it still hit me. Nonetheless, I chose to smile back and answer.

"Well... I don't know how long this situation will last. The Alpha said that he is trying to find a solution and once he does, I will be able to go back home."

"Is that so?" she presses and I nod my head. I didn't like her tone, it was as if she knew something that I didn't. But maybe I was thinking too much.

For pleasantries, I chuckled and poke fun at her.

"Well, Ms. Jackie, if you have a solution, I'm sure the Alpha would be open to hear that." I say and continue knitting.

I was expecting her to say no, but she set her knitting equipment down and smiled at me.

"Oh, but he does. A solution has already been proposed to him, but he refuses it. Our Alpha is quite stubborn and I'm sure you know that."

My eyebrows immediately furrowed. What... is she saying? There is already a solution? Then why hasn't Archer taken that up yet? Why is he letting the pack suffer like this?

"I... I don't understand. If there's already a solution, why won't he take it? Why hasn't the pack convinced him to take it? The pack is suffering." I tell her, but it seemed more like I was ranting.

She looked at me for a while, her mouth open as she observed me.

"Well, it seems that you have not spoken about it, I'm sorry for bringing it up." she apologizes truly.