Kind Or Greedy?

Atticus' POV:

"I probably should have stayed quiet," I tell Lincoln as he finishes typing up his report.

He looks over at me. "What do you mean?"

"I told Silas that I noticed he was blushing whenever you got near to him, and that's when his heart rate spiked," I tell Lincoln, making him pause and whip around.

"What?!" he exclaims, his eyes wide. "That's not true! He was just nervous!"

I chuckle at Lincoln's obliviousness. "Sugar, love, light of my life," I say, putting my hands on Lincoln's shoulders and making him face me. "I'm not surprised he was blushing... I would too if you were my doctor."

"Shut up, Atticus," Lincoln mutters, printing off the hospital report and stapling it. "Just get his stuff to the car, okay?"

I spank his butt before I walk away, earning an irritated groan from Lincoln. As I leave the building, my phone rings.

"You left early today," Jared says irritably. "We didn't find the killer, but we have all of the surveillance from the area, so we should be able to find out who our killer is. There's only seventeen Americans with the malfunction born in 2003, so hopefully he's one of them and we can narrow it down. If he isn't and is from another age group, obviously our field where we're searching is wider."

"Let's just hope that our killer didn't escape the city," I say as I get in the car. "At least Sil- I mean, uh, the kid we interviewed, wasn't killed. Maybe he saw something."

Jared hums into the phone. "He's alive, then?"

"Yes, Lincoln worked his magic."

"Oh, did he now?" Jared asks, and I know he's teasing me.

I roll my eyes. "Trust me, my sex life is too good for your ears," I tell him with a light chuckle. "I'll be in tomorrow, but if there's any pressing updates, call me."

"You got it," Jared says before he hangs up.

Lincoln and Silas walk out of the office building, and I see Silas cower a bit when he makes eye contact with me.

Did I scare him?

Lincoln helps Silas into the back seat and hands him his bag before he climbs into the passenger seat beside me.

"I'm feeling pasta tonight," Lincoln announces as we get on the road. He turns in his seat to look at Silas "We could go to a restaurant if you want."

Silas shakes his head in the rear view mirror. "No thanks," he mumbles, his cocky and fiery spirit gone and replaced by a cold, nervous shell of a person.

"Let's order online when we get home," I tell Lincoln, because I know his happiness is a bit dampened because he wasn't able to cheer Silas up.

Lincoln is very empathic and feeds on the emotions and energy around him, so it's no surprise to me that seeing our guest, someone he's very intrigued by, upset makes him feel sad as well.

"That sounds better," Silas emphasizes, smiling at Lincoln, and I'm grateful that he does so because I think it cheers up my boyfriend. "So, uh, how long have you two known each other?"

I can tell Silas is trying to make our current situation a bit less awkward by breaking the silence, and I'm glad to say it's working.

"Oh, about a year and a half ago, though we were fuck buddies before we ever started dating," I say, making Lincoln shoot me a glare. "What? It's true!"

Silas snickers. "Well, your jobs must cause stress, so I can't say I'm too surprised."

I chime in, agreeing with him, and Lincoln groans. "Shut up, Atticus!" he whines, and I'll definitely have to show him later not to use that attitude with me.