Melina

(Please read the important author's note at the end of this chapter please)

Silas' POV:

"Jared, what's going on?" Atticus asks as he answers the phone, Lincoln driving so we can get home and Atticus can get to work.

I assume Jared is talking to him, but I can't hear anything so I just try to relax. It's a little, well, a lot, difficult because I'm currently terrified that psycho killer lady is going to bust through the door of the car and murder me.

She's probably pissed at me because I am kind of the one that got her identity exposed because I lived. If I hadn't fought back, she'd have been able to kill me and I doubt that Atticus' boss would have allowed him to do in depth investigation to find out who killed me.

I can't dwell on that.

It's not the right time to panic; I need to focus my energy on being alert and ready to protect myself at any minute that I can.

"I don't give a fuck if Darrel doesn't want me in! We both know he doesn't value my days off, he just values my current absence so that I can't look into this!" Atticus yells into the phone, making me wince a little at his brutal tone.

I've never heard him speak that way, except for when I was in jail and he yelled at Darrel and punched him.

Lincoln looks at me through the rear view mirror, concern living in his eyes.

"I'll be there as soon as I can," Atticus says, sounding a bit more relaxed. "I'm supposed to meet with her tomorrow, but I'll call and see if she's in town today. Maybe she's seen the news."

Atticus bids Jared goodbye and then hangs up, just as we're pull off the street and heading toward the quieter area where their house is.

I see Atticus' hand grab Lincoln's thigh, and I assume he's doing it to calm himself down. From what I've seen of Atticus in the last month or so of living with these two, he is very touchy and affectionate, so it's a good thing he can divide his clinginess between myself and Lincoln!

We get back to the house and Atticus has us get out of the car.

"I'm sorry, I have to go," Atticus tells us, kissing me on the lips and then kissing Lincoln. "I'll try to be home soon."

Neither Lincoln nor myself are going to push him to get home because we know how stressed he probably is right now, especially since it looks like Andrea Velazco has lost it a little bit and is going after everyone with Mistacesemia instead of just my group of 2003 people.

"Come on, let's go inside," Lincoln urges me, taking my hand and guiding me into the house. "I'm proud of you, Silas! You went out in public and didn't panic!"

He's great at brightening the mood, so all I can do is smile and let him hug and kiss all over my face. Lincoln is adorable and I love how touchy he is; he and Atticus both are and I adore it.

We walk into the living room, but as soon as we do so, I feel a wave of uncertainty and fear wash over me. I barely have time to grab Lincoln and raise my hands to lift a wall of my power when I hear a gunshot.

I'm holding a small dart in mid air, and I let it fall on the ground. I make sure Lincoln is close to me as I make eye contact with our attackers.

A man is holding a gun, and he looks pissed. Beside him stands a young woman who looks vaguely familiar but I know that I've never met her personally.

"Fuck," the man curses, because he knows he cannot possibly hurt me or Lincoln.

I use my powers and take his weapon, destroying it before his eyes.