Are We Free?

Silas' POV:

It's been five days of being stuck in the warehouse.

Five days without food.

Five days of sleeping on a cement floor in the cold.

Five days of blood tests and plasma tests that were so much more painful than I thought they be.

Five days of pulling at the collar on my neck and making my fingers bleed.

Five days of hoping that Atticus and Lincoln are searching for me and praying that they find me soon.

"Come on, I'm a nice guy!" Jared whispers, and I see Leo rolling his eyes.

"You're annoying," Leo responds, but his tolerance for Jared has improved over the past five days.

In fact, I think Leo is starting to like him. Even more so because every time Leo gets his blood drawn, Jared is the first to comfort him and distract him from the pain in his arms from the needles. There's something they do to the needles here than makes the pain stay and get worse.

Well, anyway, those two are truly a match made in Hell, because it's extremely hellish in this horrible warehouse.

"Silas, have they let you eat yet?" Aviana whispers, and I shake my head.

Whenever the feed us, which is twice a day, they watch me and make sure none of the other people in here save food or attempt to share with me.

We each get two water bottles per day, and one of the assholes in charge comes in after the meals and gives the guards a key to walk us to the bathroom, which I'm grateful for.

It would be worth it to try to run while they walk us to the bathroom, but they're all armed with guns and if one of us runs, the guards are apparently under orders to kill everyone in the warehouse if one of us escapes.

"Darrel hates me," I murmur. "He lets Jared eat."

Jared shrugs. "I'm lovable."

"No you're not," Leo comments, laying down on the cement. "God, my back is killing me."

Jared wiggles his eyebrows. "Oh, and why is that?"

"Because we sleep on a solid concrete floor," Leo responds in a deadpan voice, and I can tell he's not in the mood to flirt.

Then again, he never is, but that doesn't stop Jared.

"When we get out of here I'll get you the softest mattress to use," Jared says, his flirty persona gone and replaced with a sorrowful, comforting attitude. "I promise."

Leo actually smiles. "Thanks," he murmurs, before he tenses when the door opens and he walks in with another person. "What the hell..."

"Holy shit!" I think, too shocked to speak aloud. "Beni?!"

She glares at Darrel and tries to fight back, but he has four guards with him so she can't really do much.

How the hell did she end up here?! She's not even a Mistake! Plus, why would she be conscious?

The rest of everyone, including myself, Aviana, and Jared were unconscious when we arrived. That's what Leo told us, at least, so I'm surprised Beni is here and awake.

How did she get involved?

I'm honestly just grateful it's not Lincoln or Atticus, because I know Darrel would use them against me because he's a piece of shit.

"Lock this whore up," Darrel orders, throwing her toward the end of the chain and she's locked up beside Aviana. "I want more guards called in and setting up a perimeter."