11) Hojo

I wipe the blood off my hands from the two headed beast we're struggling to kill and fire another arrow. Earlier today, Holzoff sent us off toward the cliffs and now we're stuck trying to keep warm and climb the cliffs to the Northern Crater, an enormous wound in the planet. Might as well be the Promised Land for Shinra with all the mako energy there. I yelp as a blast of fire singes my clothes and skin, leaving a nasty burn or two. Thinking fast, I grab an arrow and quickly lift it into the flame before rolling out of the way and firing the flaming stick at the ice side of the dragon. Cid harpoons the fire side through the head with a loud crunching noise and it shrieks, the ground beneath us trembling with one last quake spell as the beast dies. Well, one head anyway. The ice head sends a blast of cold to Tifa, who counters with her own leveled Fire and punches it hard. That does nothing and I hope you realize it soon. Cloud slices at it until it tries to snap at him, making him have to back off some. The crack of guns fills his absence in, blot spurting from each new wound. Barret fires at random, Vincent aims quickly but carefully.

When at last another quake spell comes, we all can relax, panting and addressing our wounds. I pull it out a potion and down the gross liquid, grimacing as my burns fade painfully.

"One might think you enjoyed those," Vincent comments. I shudder and shake my head.

"They're nasty, but there's no way I'm using materia."

"It's not exactly mako..."

"I don't care," I cut him off. "I'm not going to use it. End of story." He sighs and watches me sulk after Cloud, who's already moving again, leading us out of the cave.

"Looks like we'll have to climb again," he mutters. I nod, watching as he manages to loop the climbing rope Holzoff lent us on a weak dead branch and ties one end around himself. "I'll go up first."

"I'll be waiting," I murmur to no one in particular. Avalanche regroups outside just as he makes it to the top, untying the the branch and tossing down one end.

"Next person!" He calls down to us. I sigh when no one else offers to go and grab the rope, climbing up easily.

"Whoa," I whisper once I'm up, staring at the huge whirlwind around the crater. "Sephiroth did that?"

"Must have," Cloud replies quietly. "Who else could've?"

"Yo! Quick chattin' and send the rope down!" Someone yells. Cloud rolls his eyes and I half smile. So impatient. I guess I wouldn't want to be idle if my life's days were limited. Once we're all up and I have to catch Yuffie so that she doesn't go for her first and last free falling lesson, we begin I descent. The air grows heavier and breezier as we go, pulling at our hair and clothes. Barret whistles lowly when we see just how windy it is.

"This guy means business. You sure we're gonna survive this Spiky?"

"Not if you keep that attitude," our leader replies flatly as we continue down the crater. A wobbly figure in a black cloak disturbingly like mine shudders, flickering like a hologram. By the time Cloud reaches out toward it, it's gone. Cid swears and Cait has a conversation with himself about volleyballs and chocobos..? Fog layers over the ground thickly, Cloud's pace picking up in anticipation.

"Cloud, wait for me!" Tifa yells. "Please take me with you. You're going to have it out with Sephiroth, right?" Cloud stops and turns to look at her expectantly. She sighs and looks at the ground. "Because of Sephiroth, I too have lost many things, so please, take me with you." Then she looks up hopefully. "Don't say no, okay?"