20) Lucrecia's Cave

CAN WE JUST TAKE A MOMENT TO APRECIATE EISLEY EVEN THOUGH NO ONE KNOWS WHO THEY ARE? KAY, THANKS.

"Alright Vi, we're here," Cid announces.

"Land the ship," I say in a distant voice, still wondering why in Odin's name Vincent's mother would direct us here. Cid mutters something and the ship goes down slowly, dropping into the grass. Yuffie leaps across the untouched ground gratefully, brushing her fingers along the surface of the crystal lake.

"It's beautiful here."

"Sure is," Tifa agrees. "Hey, there's the waterfall." I take a deep breath and start walking toward the pounding waters. Cid follows close behind, Vincent at my side. I nearly slip on the rocks, but Cid catches my arm, yanking me roughly back onto my feet.

"We have to hurry," Cloud reminds us. "Hojo's controlling the cannon." A spell seems to fall over us as we look around the green crystal walls, light glittering off the solid mako.

She's here.

Who?

That's when we spot her, a slim woman with long brunette hair and a white lab coat as pure white as fresh snow.

"Lucrecia!" Vincent gasps, half of Avalanche jumping as he rushes toward her turned back.

"Vincent..." She sniffs. As she turns, I can see the fresh, wet trail of tears down her cheeks. Bitterness swallows my heart whole and I glare at her hatefully. Her eyes widen, innocent, like a deer's, but I know better.

"Lucy," I spit her name out like poison, Tifa and Nanaki studying me curiously.

"Violet... It's been so long," she forces a smile, but I shake my head.

"Don't act like nothing happened. You were there."

"I regret it all deeply," she hangs her head, but I continue to glare at her. Shoot her, stab her, do something to avenge your humanity, your normalcy.

"Lucrecia..." Vincent whispers, heading forward again. Why does it hurt to see him still so hopelessly in love with her?

"Stay back!" She yells, startling even me as the room flashes white.

An illusion surrounds us as we look around in wonder. Then we see them. Vincent talking to Lucrecia on his first day, her stuttering confusing him. And then there's me taking the stairs two at a time in the background, hurrying toward them. Lucrecia hurries off and the world flashes again. Next is a scene of Vincent walking through the town next to her, small smiles on both of their faces. She laughs shyly and bumps into him, his bony shoulder bumping her back. Fading white leads to the snowy day she left him in the cold, a clear look of hurt in his eyes as she shakes her head and runs.

I steal a sideways glance at Vincent, who glares at his sabatons in silence. Avalanche watches his life play before them in wonder, still trying to take in the fact that my sister gave birth to their worst enemy. Then theres ugly old Hojo comforting Lucrecia, Vincent in the background with a passive look on his face, again those ruby irises revealing the pain inside. His young voice echoes through the cave, not the worn, underused one he has now.

"If she is happy, then I don't mind."

The next is a scene that I remember well. Lucrecia and I in the library when she suddenly collapses, my mouth moving as I crouch by her side, but my calls for Vincent mute for some reason. Again, his youthful, strained voice as we shift to the lab.