21) What Are We Fighting For?

SMALL DOSES OF VINNIExVIOLET FLUFF ARE GOOD FOR THE SOUL :)

I swallow hard looking down from the deck.

Scared?

Have you ever jumped out of an airship into an armed city?!

I cannot say I have.

Then shut your face.

"See y'all!" Cid whoops as he jumps, following Cloud and a few others. Nanaki frowns, yelping when Barret pushes him overboard and jumps down after him.

"Are you ready?" I look back at Vincent. He nods and adjusts his parachute uncomfortably before helping me onto the railing. And then we're both falling behind Avalanche. I bet I could fall this far without this stupid parachute and be perfectly fine. Black and red cloth flapping behind us, Vincent and I fall toward the ground, still a little far behind.

Smirking and wiggling my eyebrows at Vince, I press my hands to my side, nose diving toward the ground. I can almost see his eye roll as I twist, spinning and grinning to myself. I need to do this again sometime. I pass Cloud in a zip and then yank the cord on my pack, white material jerking me backwards. When my feet touch the wet street, I drop the clipped on backpack and toss it into the nearby alley. My boots splash as I take a few steps forward, hands on my hips. I've never actually been here before, though I'd made plans with David before to visit with Josh.

"Why's it all wet?" Yuffie wrinkles her nose. "I thought it didn't rain here?"

"Maybe Rufus started up that sprinkler thing his father used to do to make the city feel more natural," Tifa suggests.

"Maybe," Cloud nods, walking past me to follow Cait Sith, who scrambled ahead to show us some "secret entrance".

"There're a lot of passageways in here," Cait explains as he opens the trapdoor. "We'll need to split up.

"I'll go with Cid," I shrug. Barret scowls at me.

"But I... Fine."

"Vincent," Cloud looks at the taller man. "You and Nanaki go as well. Me, Tifa, Yuffie, and Cait will stick together."

We ascend the rusty ladder into the underground railroad and go our separate ways, turning our PHS devices on. Cid lays his spear on his shoulder and leans the way, contentedly smoking a cigarette.

"Why'd you come anyway?" Barret whines as I glare at him.

"I needed a change of company. Why's it bother you so much?"

"You freak me out."

"And I think you're an idiot. Your point?"

"I'm gonna kick your..." He growls, shaking his fist in my face.

"There they are!" A voice stops him from finishing his sentence. "Avalanche!" Elena charges at us, the oblivious blonde Turk that she is. I have an arrow drawn and aimed at her for head in half a moment, already standing in front of Cid.