27) Shape Shifter

GUESS WHAT GUYS?! I'M REALLY EXCITED! I'VE BEEN WANTING TO DO THIS SINCE BEFORE THE SUNKEN GELNIKA CHAPTER, AND I THINK I WILL! IT'S VIOLET SHADOWS IN VINCENT'S POV CALLED CRIMSON DEMONS, BUT I'M HOPING TO ONLY PUBLISH IT AFTER I FINISH THIS. YOU GUYS KNOW HOW I AM WHEN I PUBLISH A NEW STORY WHILE WORKING ON ANOTHER, THE FIRST NEVER GETS DONE, SO I'LL HOLD OFF FOR A BIT, BUT I REALLY WANT TO DO IT, THOUGH MY PAST ATTMEPTS AT HIS POV HAVEN'T BEEN THE BEST...

~1 Year Later~

I look around us at the grassy land, Ruka bounding happily through the tall weeds. Vincent sighs as she bounces on a field mouse, catching the creature and bringing it to him. His nose crinkles slightly and he steps around her, following me a little closer than before.

"That dog still refuses to stop killing animals."

"She loves you," I grin back at him, adjusting the backpack on my shoulders.

Just like you?

Hush.

Okay, so I haven't told him. But cmon, how long have I known? Three years? Give me a break, you'd hesitate too if you knew he still sat there and brooded over your sister, who he was completely smitten with. The "L" word is like poison to him.

Ruka barks in annoyance at being ignored before running after Vincent again. He mutters something as she pulls on the end of his cape, yanking the material from her teeth. The dog whines and pounces on the cape again, Vincent reaching the end of his patience while I struggle to contain a laugh.

You're a cruel human.

Yes, and?

"So I take it that you're not a dog person?" I ask, teasing evident in my voice. He glares at me.

"You've known this for a long time."

"Yep," I laugh, shoulder bumping him. "How much longer until we get to Kalm?"

"Perhaps we will arrive tomorrow."

"Perhaps?" I groan. "That's awful. We've been traveling for days."

"Years, if you count everyday we have traveled."

"Make that decades for me," I shake my head, fishing through my bag. "I'm hungry."

"You could always eat the grass."

"I hate you." He gives me a sidelong glance before shaking his head to himself, continuing to wrestle his cape away from my energetic dog. Finally, he loses all of his patience, drawing his gun and aiming it at her. "Vincent!" I scold, snatching the weapon away. He glares at me and pulls it back, shoving it into this holster irritable. "You can't shoot pets!"