30) Edge

I kill the last of the hounds that ambushed us and wipe the blood off my blade. That orange beast was definitely something else.

"Come on, it can't be too much further," I call over my shoulder, already leaving the scene. Vincent silently starts after me, and then stops. I sigh and look back, only to see that nuisance Crimson Hound running and leaping over Vince, jaws wide and claws out. Vincent whips around, slashing up with his claw and kicking the animal away before shooting it. Then he holsters his gun and walks past me, where I roll my eyes.

"Don't you think that was a little overkill?" He doesn't respond, only keeps heading for the city. I groan and follow him into the next area, a wide open space that makes me uneasy. "Perfect spot for an ambush."

"Agreed." And sure enough, just as we move in, six hovering motorcycles drop down and circle around us. Vincent's already shooting by the time I get Sacrifice, predicting where the biker and the arrow will meet at his speed. I release and it goes straight through his helmet and into his skull, bike skidding away.

Another two are taken down by the man on my side, one more by me. I'm so focused on attacking one person that I don't notice the other zooming toward me until I turn around less than on moment before, the front of the bike slamming into my stomach. I clench my jaw and forget my pain momentarily, forcing myself to stand up on my knees, my legs gripping the front. The rider swerves quickly, trying to knock me off, but I just get Nightmare and slash through him with my blade alight, jumping off the bike as it crashes into the canyon wall. I wince when my feet hit the ground, the impact shooting up to the injury in my abdomen. I place my hand over the spot and grimace when I pull back and see blood.

"Geeze, what do they put on the front of those things?" I mutter. Vincent hands me a potion.

"I'd imagine something sharp."

"You'd imagine," I scoff. "Vincent, no offense, but I don't think you even have an imagination. And if you did, it's probably really sad and dark." He shakes his head and holsters his gun, leading the way once again as I down the gross liquid and jog after him. "It's just weird to think that the people of Midgar thought the only people who lived under them where the ones under the plates. Really, there was an entire city of dangerous soldiers under them the whole time."

"Odd, yes." Then he frowns. "Because you were with Hojo during the beginning of Deepground, to you think perhaps you got the same treatment to make you stronger?"

"What?" My eyebrows scrunch together. What if? I'd never thought of that before...

"I heard Shinra commented on your excessive strength, supposedly bypassing Chaos himself," he looks back at me with a slight teasing smirk. "I have yet to such strength from you."

"I didn't know what he was talking about," I shake my head. "But there can be other ways, right?" He nods.

"Of course. It was merely a theory." I sigh and look at the land surrounding us.

"But what if I'm like them? Why if something makes me lose it and I..."

"Violet," he stops me, turn if around. "Forget I said anything, I did not wish to make you nervous."

"But what if you're right?"

"What if? Why does it matter?" He lays a hand on my shoulder, the other lifting my head to meet his eyes. "You will be alright. We've both been fine for thirty three years now, correct?" I nod. "Then you will be fine now." My arms reach up and pull him forward, wrapping around his abdomen in a tight embrace. My face buries into his chest and I take a deep breath, inhaling the smell of leather only Vincent can give off.