28) Mayhem

YAY PTX (AGAIN). CAN'T GET ENOUGH A CAPELLA, IT'S GOOD FOR THE SOUL ;)

The next morning, I wake up to a cold, empty tent. Where's Ruka? I frown and sit up, climbing out of the tent slowly in the morning brightness. Where's Vincent? Frowning, I sit down in front of the blackened spot that was once a fire and turn on my phone. We have to be careful about battery out here obviously, but I just wanted to see if I got any messages or calls. Yep, one text from Cid. Sighing, I open the message and huff.

Cid: Tell Vin to answer his @&%-+#^ phone or I'm gonna come out there on the Shera and shove my spear up his #-$!!

I roll my eyes and dial his number, never one to sit there and click buttons for hours straight just trying to get the right letter to appear on the little screen. Impatiently, I wait for my favorite pilot to pick up the phone. Finally, he does.

"What?"

"Someone's in a good mood," I scoff.

"Shut up, Vi. The #-%+ ship's givin' me a hard time. Where's Vince?"

"I actually would like to know the answer to that," I frown. "I woke up and he was gone, but his stuff's still here, so guess he didn't leave leave."

"Did somethin' happen that would make Wacko leave?" I sigh.

"Well... That's actually a really long story, but I basically told him last night that I'm giving him three days to choose between me or whatever the heck he's doing off in lala land."

"... Right, er, can I just talk to the guy?"

"I don't know where..." I pause upon seeing Vincent farther away, walking back toward camp with Ruka barking at his heels. "Hold on, I see him."

"Well tell him to get the #&%+ on the phone."

"Hey Vince," I call, holding the phone away from my mouth. "Cid wants you to get the #&%+ on the phone!" Vincent raises an eyebrow at me, silently scolding my word choice and continuing his steady pace. Rolling my eyes and listening to Cid laugh on the other end of the line, I wait for Vince to finally get his butt over here before handing him the phone and going to my backpack to dig for a granola bar or something. I'm starving. I don't care if Vincent never eats, that doesn't mean I have to.

"Yes?" Vincent huffs and settles on the dirt in his usual position, one leg up with one arm hooked around it, the other leg outstretched in front of him. "No, I did not. Why does it matter?" I pretend not to be listening, but I'm still trying to piece together their conversation from one side. "It was an overreaction, Highwind. I'm sure she would never do such a thing." Then his stoic demeanor drops a little when his brows draw together and he frowns, silent for a long time. "I appreciate your concern, Chief, but it is not necessary. I can handle it on my own." He huffs after listening again. "I don't doubt it, though I don't see how you could possibly be so protective." He cringes and holds the phone away from his ear for a moment before putting it back. "I see. It was nice speaking to you. Goodbye."

Then he hangs up, tossing the device toward me. I catch it easily and bite into my breakfast, the last bar I found hidden under two balls of materia that I rarely use. It still freaks me out. He huffs and pushes his long black bangs from his hair.