38) Deepground

"So it seems," Vincent says into his phone, me and David practically dragging our beat behinds after him. "Shinra Building... Or what remains of it." We all look up at the ruins of a company that once ruled the world. "Alright." Vincent suddenly jerks forward, hand flying over his chest when he falls.

"Vince!" I slide down beside him, his heavy breathing echoing through my already light head.

"Is something wrong?" Shelke's voice comes from his phone, which is now laying face up on the ground. I hear the patter of paws behind us, but David's sword is drawn and he slices once, killing the Deepground animal instantly. My hand gently rests on the back of his shoulder, me trying to find something wrong. "Vincent Valentine." He stands slowly, me following.

"Are you.." He wobbles weakly, a dark energy starting to swarm...

"Vincent!" I shout, shaking his shoulders. He seems to snap out of his trance, blinking his crimson eyes at me.

"What's going on?" He murmurs, looking down at where the Protomateria once was. "Why is Chaos...? Why now?"

"Vincent?" I frown. His eyes find mine quickly, lost in thought and confusion.

"You really don't know, do you?" Shelke says. "I'm surprised Violet Crescent has not lost control quite yet. The materia Rosso stole helped you control both Shadow and Chaos. Now that you've lost it..."

"Your mental state has become extremely unstable," David finishes. Vincent frowns.

"Protomateria? Control Chaos?"

"Yes. If you recall, you both had it extracted from your chests by Rosso." There's a silence, my hand slowly coming to rest over the place Rosso's clawed hand was. "Chaos. While a part of you, the entity exists independently from the rest of your body. Shadow... Violet Crescent, you have learned the demon's true identity, correct?"

"Yeah," I nod, pacing as I recall the information aloud. "A girl named Alicia. She sold her soul to Satan in exchange for the deaths of those in her town. The town burned, and she was granted the abilities of Lucifer himself. She tried to overthrow him and was banished from Hell and sent here. Right?"

"To put it short, yes."

"Shelke?" Vincent starts again. Then he pauses, spinning around quickly. "Lucrecia." David blinks at him, holding his hands up.

"Look, I know I'm good looking and all, but I'm not a woman."

"Vince?" I poke his arm. Nothing. Just like the mansion... Gods, he's losing it.

"Lucrecia!"

"She's not there," I tug in his shoulder, making him step back and look at me. "Are you going insane or something?"

"You must fight him," Shelke's voice comes again. Huh? "I don't want you to die..." A sudden alarm blares through the phone, a zapping noise catching my attention. Then she hangs up.

"Shelke?" I look at David. He looks confused too. "Should we go see..."

"No." Vincent shakes his head. "Cid has it under control. We must get into the Deepground section of the Shinra building through the President's passage."

"I know where that is," David nods. I sigh and gesture for him to go ahead.

"Lead the way, human GPS." He nods and starts walking, leaving me to travel beside Vincent.

"You alright?" I finally ask. He huffs.

"I don't know. Chaos seems to be taking over my mind more everyday."