Chapter Three

Third Person's POV:

Abdullah was anything but guilty about his attitude towards his new wife. No matter how unbothered Maryam tried to be, she still couldn't help but feel that her fantasies about getting married were all thrown down the well.

The morning was awkward as no one said a word and Maryam spent the whole day with Amna who looked very curious to know how things went the previous night.

"Did he give you a present?" Amna asked with twinkling eyes. Maryam nodded slowly remembering the jewelry box he had so rudely tossed at her. She didn't bother opening it or even asking about it from him as she wasn't interested in the jewel but the way he was supposed to hand it to her.

"Did you like it?" Amna asked, looking almost relieved that he did as he was told to. Maryam nodded again. "Yes, it was really beautiful. The erm... Colour... Was really attractive." she lied, wanting to make herself seem believable. It was easy since Amna wasn't the type to dive too deep into things which was a good thing.

Maryam smiled at her dark-skinned mother-in-law who was the literal definition of Eastern beauty.

"What did you two talk about? He wasn't rude or anything, right?" she questioned. Maryam gave her an assuring look. "He was nice." then she added, "He even told me that I looked pretty." she pretended to blush.

"That's... Sweet of him..." Amna fell into confusion. She wasn't expecting that quick of a change from her son. But, if Maryam said that it was like that, she decided to just thank Allah and felt satisfied that she didn't make a big mistake.

"Anway, what kind of hairstyle do you want for the Walima?"

Maryam thought about it for a while and then said, "I think open hair would look nice." Amna frowned at her, her smile still fixated on her face. "Really? That's very untraditional for a Pakistani bride. Are you sure about it?"

She nodded quickly. "Yes. I always wanted to do something different. And I think that I'll look a little older for my age if I make one of those big buns or complicated hairstyles." then she added, "But if you think that I shouldn't, then I'm fine with anything."

Amna shook her head and patted her daughter-in-law. "It won't look good if it's not according to your taste. If you want it, then I don't see why not." Maryam beamed at her and hugged her.

"Thank you so much, mom."

--------------------------------------------------

Maryam was never good at goodbyes and especially not when she knew that she was going to be alone with a person that hated her guts once her parents-in-law left the country. Why hate, you ask? Well because the death glares Abdullah Saleh had been shooting at his wife all day was proof enough that he really didn't like her presence in the house.

"Stay blessed, beta." Mua'az Saleh ran a hand over her head out of love and respect as his servants took his luggage out to the waiting car. Maryam, wearing a beautiful black Kurti with white beads in the shape of flowers over black loose trousers that fell right above her ankles, exposing her beautiful feet with painted nails, moved from Mua'az to Amna to give her a last hug.

"My prayers are with you, Maryam. Always stay happy and cheerful and if this spoilt son of mine tried to be a jerk to you, you have my number, don't you?" she winked at her to which Maryam nodded with a smile.

"I'm sure that won't happen," Surprisingly, it was Abdullah who spoke. He walked forward to his mother and kissed her on her forehead. "You don't have to worry about us. We'll be fine here." then he turned to his father.