Chapter Twenty-Five

——Third Person's POV——

The shivers that rushed through Maryam's body increased as she slowly stepped out of the building, Cornelia about a few feet away from her. The noon sun blinded her for a second but she quickly averted her gaze to the front where a big crowd of students was gathered.

She didn't bother calling out to Cornelia and Cornelia didn't mind since she was already moving ahead, pushing through students to see what the fuss was all about.

Maryam gulped and ran a long look around her as the others left her behind and she was standing there alone at the entrance of the building. Her eyes caught red and blue lights blinking on the top of a black police car standing right outside the bar gate.

"The police?!" she gasped and rushed towards the crowd. So many blondes, black and brown head students blocked her but she forced her way in, earning herself many swear words by the others as she had plunged straight into the ocean of bodies.

She stopped when she finally reached the front. The motion in her body left her because the scene in front of her was enough to make her go into a complete state of shock.

The principal and a few police officers stood in the middle. The policemen wore their uniform, wearing threatening expressions and talking to the principal as if inquiring.

Amidst the loud noise from the students, Maryam couldn't hear a single word they were saying. Her curiosity was cured when the principal turned around, getting ready to start explaining things.

He cleared his throat to begin. "Students, I've gathered you all here due to an emergency as the matter at hand is of utmost importance and seriousness. Clearly, you can see that the police is here..." He sounded a bit nervous as he looked like he didn't have the right words to speak. "Now, this is a school, a place where you come to gain education and a big part of that is moral values. Right now standing here, I feel ashamed to see that my own students would go to such lengths and make such disgusting remarks about a young girl." Unintentionally, his eyes immediately fell on Maryam, who tensed up at that.

She could start to understand more of what was coming. But, she kept quiet and waited for him to finish.

"Not to mention, you people had complete disregard that I was your principal and did not hesitate once to spread such despicable and appalling rumors not only about her but myself as well. I'm so disgusted that I can't even say them out loud." He paused for a moment, eyed the officer standing next to him, and after receiving an approving nod from him, started to speak again.

"Anyway, what's done has been done and no one can change that. But, the people responsible must be punished. I'm sure you all already know what I'm talking about so the guilty should step ahead and face the consequences of his actions. I've called you together to make this a lesson for anyone who tries to do something similar in the future. Let this event act as a reminder for you that you cannot get away with everything and no matter how popular you are, you will have to take responsibility for your actions. "

The principal ended with a firm look, indicating that he was done. He then stepped away and let the officer take over. With each movement that took place, Maryam's heartbeat raised. Her gaze was kept glued to the people at the front but she could feel the stares of her fellow students boring deep into her back. She tried to ignore it but it still bothered her and lingered at the back of her mind.