Chapter Fourteen

Third Person's POV:

It was a dark room in a dark building that was almost going to drop. The upper two portions had already fallen, creating huge rubble surrounding the building. It was the perfect place to hide—or should I say; to hide someone.

It was nighttime. A broken clock inside the dull room with nothing but a pole and a few drums of Allah knew what, repeatedly struck 9 o clock as it was broken. The moon was high in the sky and shining very brightly. It was a soundless night. But, the soundlessness carried a huge weight of restlessness and uneasiness. There was a small window in the room through which the moonlight seeped in.

The shuffling of Maryam's long skirt was heard when she shifted with discomfort in her position, still unconscious. Slowly, her eyes opened and she tried to adjust her sight to the dark and gloom that surrounded her.

It struck her a moment later that she wasn't in a safe place. Her hands were tied to the pole behind her with strong handcuffs. Her hijab had been long dismantled by the violent impacts of when she was being forced inside the van with a cloth over her mouth.

"Ya Allah..." she couldn't help but groan as she looked around her. Her head felt like it had been hit with a brick and her ears were drumming in her ears. When she was finally back to her senses, she started yelling and shouting. "Let me out of here! What do you people want from me?!"

It felt like she had been screaming for hours when finally, the door slammed open. "Looks like she's awake." she heard a man say to another as both of them entered. She glared at them even though their faces weren't much visible in the dark.

"Should we call the boss?" she heard the other one say, completely ignoring her. She tried to wriggle her hands free from the tight hold of the handcuffs but the more she moved, the more they hurt.

"Or maybe we can have some fun with her before that." That sentence made her go numb. She quickly looked up with fearful eyes and her gaze was met with a big, bulky man who was looking back at her with dangerous eyes. He was tall and huge and that made her crawl back into herself.

"How about it, John? Boss won't even notice." he took a step towards her and got uncomfortably close. He grinned at her and that was when she saw his face. With a shaky voice, she croaked out; "Let me go. Please."

"Don't say that. It's not every day we get girls like you in this room." He said to her, sending chills down her spine.

To her relief, the other man, John interrupted and stopped him. "As much as I would like to join you in this, we can't. Boss said that she wasn't to be touched." John pulled his friend away and Maryam exhaled the breath she was keeping inside.

"What a shame. She's so beautiful. It's almost inviting." the man complained to John. "We should probably call boss. He knows what to do with her." At that point, Maryam knew that it was fruitless to demand answers from them because she was extremely scared. She'd just have to wait until the Boss came and told her what she was being held captive for.

She silently prayed for her safety as the two men walked out and shut the door behind her. She was looking at the door expectantly but no one came. After fifteen minutes, she started to look around, reciting Ayat ul Kursi and the three Muawwezatain in her head.

The room was small and empty. A few barrels stood there but other than the pole, there was nothing. When she least expected it, the door opened again and she immediately looked towards it. At first, she couldn't see who it was but slowly, a short figure walked in and made its way in front of her, near one of the drums.

For a second, she froze and her heart stopped beating. She wanted to rub her eyes to check whether she was in a dream or reality but because of her arms being tied, she couldn't. She gulped and blinked twice, in shock and disbelief.