Chapter Thirty-Five

——Maryam's POV——

It felt almost forever since I had last breathed a sigh of relief. The constant pressure of being in someone else's house and being a burden on them was massive and it didn't help when you had your own problems to deal with. Cornelia had always assured me that I wasn't a burden but I wasn't dumb not to read expressions.

The next court hearing was only two days away and I was feeling the nervousness already. My lawyer had contacted me with all the necessary files regarding the assets and things seemed to be well in place. I was as good as divorced and it was NOT a good feeling.

"Come on! I'm starving!" Cornelia exclaimed, shaking me out of my thoughts. I was brought back to reality when my eyes fell on the empty plate in front of me. My eyes then traveled to Cornelia and then to Damian who was busy with his phone, sitting right next to his sister.

"Why won't our order come?" Cornelia groaned again for the hundredth time, with her hand under her cheek and elbow resting on the table. I looked around the half filled restaurant. "We ordered a lot, Corn. It should take a good amount of time."

Damian nodded in agreement. "Yeah, all cause my fat sister can't do with just two sandwiches so she had to order about five of them." His tone suggested he was trying to annoy her and it would be a lie to say that it didn't work. Cornelia whipped her head towards him and smacked his shoulder.

"I need food because I'm a busy person unlike you, you lazy blob." she sneered, making me erupt into a laugh. Damian looked offended but even more when he looked at me. "Don't tell me you're going to support her on this, Maryam." He shook his head in disbelief.

I shrugged. "Sorry but she's my best friend. And she's not all wrong."

His eyes widened dramatically, hinting that he was just playing along. "I can't believe you of all people would say that." He pretended to look hurt and we all burst into laughter.

After a bit more chit chat, our food came and soon we were busy stuffing our mouths. In that time, a serious topic became the center of discussion and surprisingly, it was Damian who started it.

"So you're finally getting divorced, huh?" he said, making me look up from my plate. I slowly nodded. "Looks like it. The lawyer said that the judge was pretty much convinced and I would probably even get more share out of the assets because of cases of domestic abuse and cheating." I told him, pretty blatantly.

I had gotten quite used to being around him which was not all right. I realized that I had to keep my distance but we had become good friends over the one week I stayed at his house.

Damian nodded knowingly. "We wish you the best, Maryam. You deserve it too." He smiled gently at me, his blue eyes glinting as he did. For a moment, he looked nothing like Cornelia's brother and a completely new person. It took me to the first day I saw him in middle school.

He had glanced at me for a short second and it wasn't the nicest look. It was actually quite rude the way he rolled his eyes and turned away to his friends right after locking eyes with me. But all the times I saw him after that, he was weirdly nice and gentlemanly. His soft expressions never matched his torn jeans and unbuttoned shirts that showed off his typical jock-build but I never paid much mind to it.

He was a good guy and that was it. But things weren't the same as before. He wasn't just a good guy, he was a good supporter and well-wisher. It made me wonder a lot if he did it only because I was his sister's friend or if there was something else to it.