Chapter Thirty-Six

——Maryam's POV——

One day was left until the final decision of the court.

I was having breakfast when the thought occurred to me and suddenly started to feel anxious. My pace slowed down and a million thoughts were rushing through my head. Not to mention Abdullah's handsome face popping up again and again.

I remembered his last words clearly like crystal and couldn't shake them off. He had looked so sincere and honest. Maybe even more than the time he asked me to start over and it was the main reason I was starting to waver.

"Why aren't you eating, Maryam dear?" Mrs. Wilson asked, nearly making me jump. My head snapped towards her and I quickly replied, "Oh! Nothing. I was just thinking about something."

David Wilson was right in front of me, on his high and mighty chair. I felt him looking at me seriously as he pushed another morsel into his mouth. I couldn't ignore his dark eyes and finally glanced at him once. As soon as I did that, he smiled and switched to his good side.

"Is something bothering you, dear?" his calm and overly sweet voice annoyed me but I had to keep up the facade in front of his family. I couldn't afford to disappoint Damian now either and it added to the pressure. On the other hand, David deliberately irritated me by acting so concerned.

Thankfully, he didn't know that I was getting divorced because I had practically begged Mrs. Wilson not to say a word to him with the pretext that I didn't want to publicize my case. But only Allah knew how true Mrs. Wilson was to her word. I just gave her the benefit of the doubt.

Cornelia also promised not to tell her father and likewise with Damian. I wondered how long it would carry on because I was literally in the den of the lion. The moment David got to know that I didn't have Abdullah's back anymore, he would take his long-awaited revenge.

I just prayed to Allah that he be a dumb man and a brainless idiot who wouldn't notice anything.

"No, I'm just worried about the upcoming exams in school," I replied to David, with a face.

"Oh? You're still going to school?" he asked, making me suspect that he was plotting something evil in his mind. Leaving everything to Allah, I just nodded. "Yes, but I was on leave 'cause of... Stuff." I looked at Cornelia and she nodded at me knowingly, even giving me a thumbs up that she had my back.

I smiled at her, feeling confident again.

"Well, I hope you overcome whatever is bothering you." then he started eating again, much to my relief. Leaving the breakfast table, Cornelia and I went back to her room. The school had given us a week off to prepare for the exams and there I was, fighting my divorce case instead of studying.

"I'm kinda getting worried about our papers," I commented. Cornelia waved a careless hand in the air. "Don't worry about it, girl. Damian offered to tutor you, remember? I think you'll be able to do it before the first exam."

I thought about it. "Uh, I don't think I wanna get tutored by Damian," I admitted. She looked at me with widened eyes. "Huh? Why not?"

I shrugged. "It means I'll have to be alone with him in the room and I don't want that. Didn't I tell you? In a room where a non-mehrem man and woman are alone, the third is Satan." I reminded her and she formed an 'o' with her mouth and nodded slowly.