Chapter Seventeen

--Maryam's POV--

I felt a wave of loneliness wash over me as I stared blankly into my phone's screen. There wasn't a single reply from Cornelia and I didn't try to text her again as per Abdullah's instructions. But, my heart still yearned for her, and I wished I could do something for her.

Sighing, I got up from my bed and walked over to the door to escape the boredom in my room. It was nine in the night and I had spent the whole day praying or resting. It was finally time for dinner and like always, I wasn't expecting Abdullah to be home for it.

I walked outside to the dining hall and helped out with laying the table. "How are you feeling now, ma'am?" Mila smiled at me as she took a tray of boiled rice and placed it on the table. "Good, Alhamdulillah. Although it wasn't severe, to begin with." I replied just as nicely.

She nodded courteously and got back to work. I stood by her and observed her as she worked. Her beautiful hair was tied back into a silky ponytail and her maid uniform looked big on her. She was just a young girl hardly a few years younger than me.

"Can I ask you a question, Mila?" I suddenly asked her, startling her. "Of course. You don't have to ask." she stopped moving her hands and waited for me to continue, with her eyes liking at me expectantly. "Promise me you'll answer honestly." my tone had gotten a little serious which worried her.

"I promise, ma'am. I would never lie to you." her eyes had widened as if I had said something defiant. I nodded at her and gave her an assuring smile to calm her down. "Was there anyone with you when you called me at the mall two days ago?"

The question seemed to make her eyes widen even more and I could see fear seep into her face. She gulped and quickly looked away, breaking eye contact. "Uh, what makes you think that?" her voice cracked which confirmed my suspicions further.

"You promised to answer me, Mila. Please don't beat around the bush." I reminded her softly to give her courage. She looked at the ground and nodded in defeat. "Yes. Master Abdullah was with me," she confessed. "He was the one who told me to call you because he was worried about you."

I suddenly felt a burst of butterflies crawl into my stomach. I didn't know why but the thought that he was worried about me made me feel silly-in a good way.

I beckoned for her to continue and spill more details. With her frown, she did as I told her unwillingly. "He came into the servants' quarter and asked me about you and I told him you hadn't come home. He stood there for a while and then asked me to call you without letting you know that he was there. As I talked to you, he told me to ask you more questions about your whereabouts. In the end, he left the house possibly to collect you." she stopped to look at me.

I was sure my eyes were gleaming with curiosity and excitement by the time she stopped. "How do you know he went to pick me up?" I asked her, forgetting to hide the shy smile making its way to my face. "He was mumbling to himself and I think I heard him say 'I'll just have to get her myself' or something like that. I'm not sure, though." she replied as quickly as I asked her.

I nodded knowingly with newfound emotions. The weird flipping in my stomach and the current flowing through my body felt quite dangerous but weirdly good. I gulped quickly and looked away from Mila before she could find other facial expressions I was trying to fight back. "Thanks for being honest, Mila." I flashed her a smile and she returned it.