Chapter Thirty-Eight

——Third Person's POV——

The allegations against Abdullah had been proven in court. Noor, who was as pale as a flower in winter at the news, did not expect her recording to be played in front of all the people there. She was even more horrified when the judge announced her a fine of 500 dollars and two months in jail with hard labor as punishment for drugging someone without consent and lying in court, along with causing problems in other people's personal lives.

She had cursed at Maryam aloud in the court but got quiet when the judge warned her about increasing the penalty. To say that Maryam was happy would be a lie because, in the end, she didn't get anyone. Not Abdullah, not Damian, and not a precious best friend while Maryam got everything by the grace of Allah.

Abdullah and Maryam walked out of the court with bright faces and hands entwined. Abdullah, with his hair, pulled back and the blue tux looked more handsome without the firm and cold shine in his eyes. He was smiling genuinely in public which was a first for Zain.

Zain came skipping towards the couple, with a face brighter than the sun. "I don't know how happy I am for you guys! And Abdullah is smiling?! Maryam, what have you done to my best friend?" he pretended to be extremely shocked with widened eyes. Abdullah rolled his eyes at his friend, his smile disappearing.

"Zain, can't you ever say something sensible for once?" Maryam laughed at that and joined in. "It seems you're happier than us about our patch-up," she commented, making Zain nod immediately. "Why not? I've been seeing my best friend going totally mad without you. He couldn't eat, sleep, talk and it was all because he missed you oh so much."

Abdullah shot up straight and shook his head. "That's not true!" a red color began to fill his cheeks and it was so adorable how embarrassed he looked. "Zain, stop spouting nonsense!" he smacked him jokingly making Zain and Maryam laugh.

"Is that true, Abdullah?" Maryam asked him, mischievously turning to face him. Abdullah shook his head. "He's exaggerating. I mean, it's not all wrong but it wasn't like this. It was—" Zain cut him off, "Dude, you're not making a case here. Just accept it. You were crazy after her." He was trying to annoy him and it was affecting him pretty much.

"I'll admit, it was one of the worst days of my life. Obviously, when I didn't see you there with me, it was like the light had faded from my life." He smiled gently at Maryam and squeezed her hand, which no one saw. Zayn laughed and hooted, nudging his friend in the ribs.

Maryam didn't expect him to be so straightforward in front of someone else and immediately looked away in shyness, getting red. She tried to clear the air by clearing her throat but the way Abdullah looked at her, she couldn't face him properly.

"What a charmer, Mr. Saleh!" Cornelia beamed, walking towards them. "Look, you made her blush like a beetroot!" she laughed loudly, making Maryam go even redder. "Don't point it out, Cornelia!" she hissed at her secretly but it only made her cackle louder like a madwoman.

The air got silent when Damian showed up behind his sister. Though his face wasn't as fresh as it usually was, he was smiling. "Congrats to the Saleh couple. I wish you the best for your upcoming days." He said, lowly.

Abdullah, surprisingly instead of running a disapproving look at him that indicated his jealousy, accepted the well-wishing prayer and nodded. "Thank you." He smiled for a second before it vanished. Maryam gave him a joyful glance and spoke, "Thank you, Damian. And again, Jazakallah for all your help and support."