Chapter Eight

Third Person's POV:

Maryam didn't dare make a sound when she got into the car. Abdullah moved into the driver's seat and looked like he was about to murder someone. The spot of blood at the end of his mouth was still there and for some reason, Maryam felt that it was her fault.

But it was okay. No one told him to save her if he didn't want to. Yes, she was grateful to him that he did what he did but if he was going to blame her for it, then she didn't need to be sorry. Surprisingly, he didn't.

He started the car without a sound and began driving. Maryam clutched her seat belt as he drove fast, pressing on the accelerator to go even faster. The roaring of the engine was the only sound that filled the silence between them.

"Dammit!" Abdullah finally cursed, hitting the steering wheel with one hand. He swore a bit more before looking at her. "If that a****** does anything to you again, I swear I'll!" he stopped right there as if realizing something.

He quickly looked back at the road. Maryam didn't know how to react. Was this the same guy who had told her she wasn't the one for him and that he loved someone else on the night of their wedding?

Nervously, she looked back at the road as well.

"Are you okay?" that made her eyes run back to him. His voice was filled with concern which made her fall into deep confusion. "Umm… yes…" she replied slowly.

"Do you know him?" he asked. Maryam nodded hesitantly. "He's my classmate. I don't know why he suddenly did that. He flirts with almost any girl so I never took him seriously but… uh…" she didn't know how to tell him the details, knowing that he was her husband. He tightened his hold on the steering wheel, which made Maryam shut her mouth.

He was pissed.

There was silence again when both of them didn't know what to say. Maryam fidgeted with her fingers while Abdullah drove the car at normal speed, eventually.

"Thank you for that," Maryam said, sincerely.

"You don't have to say that. I couldn't stand there and watch him do what he wanted to you." to Maryam's shock and surprise, Abdullah sounded very calm and even nice. For a second, she thought she was hearing him wrong but when he smiled at her, she was convinced that it was real.

She almost jumped when he smiled but quickly recollected herself, giving him a small one in return which faded almost as quickly as it came. "The bruise on your face," she pointed at his mouth.

"Don't worry about it. It'll go away in a while."

Maryam nodded, feeling nervous. "Does it hurt?" she questioned, seriously concerned. He smiled sheepishly. "A little." That answer made her feel bad for him. "I'll clean it for you when we get home." she offered. It was the least she could do.

Honestly, she had no clue how to react. The rude, obnoxious, and arrogant man who had rejected her the first night of their wedding just started being nice to her. It was a situation she wasn't expecting. She guessed that it was because it hurt his ego that some other guy tried to kiss his wife even if he wasn't really interested in her.

"I'd like that." Abdullah's voice shook her out of her thoughts and she nodded. "How was your first day?" he asked.

"Fine. I made a new friend." she simply said. He smiled at her again and it was then that she realized how truly handsome he was. Her heart started beating fast but she quickly told herself to stop feeling like that. She would only end up being hurt.

The more she tried to get rid of the butterflies in her stomach, the more she thought about when he fought for her. He was definitely stronger than Adam with his broad shoulders and back. The little beard he had was also very attractive. And not to forget his dark green eyes.