Chapter Thirty-Seven

——Third Person's POV——

The air between Maryam and Abdullah was much lighter after the call was cut. However, Maryam was dumbstruck in her place but more relieved. It felt as if her tightened muscles had relaxed and the mounting headache had just been cured. She trailed her eyes from the phone to Abdullah.

"I... Don't believe it." she croaked. But, Abdullah shook his head and replied, "I do."

"Who knew she would go this far just to get back at me? It's scary." there was silence for a while when Abdullah spoke up, putting his hand over hers again. "Does that mean you're convinced? That you'll come back to me?" his voice sounded desperate which pierced Maryam's heart with guilt.

She was starting to feel regret. Even though he wasn't very trustworthy, she didn't let him say a word in his defense. Then, what was the difference between what he did to her and her actions?

She slowly looked up. "I...Abdullah... I don't know what to say. I feel ashamed." she put her other hand on his and gave him an apologetic look. "It isn't any greatness of mine to believe you now and come back when everything's been proven like crystal clear." she sighed and bit her lip, feeling her hands shake a bit.

Her sandwich had been long forgotten and all her eyes could see was the soft, gentle, and handsome man in front of her who smiled back at her, with an assuring and loving gaze. He hadn't looked so tender and caring as he did then. Though his raven, shiny hair was ruffled and he wasn't in his best shape, with a wet shirt and black circles under his green eyes, to her, he was the most good-looking man ever.

"Don't say that love." he reached out to her face and cupped her cheek, rubbing it softly with his thumb. "I just hope it makes up for everything I did. All I want now is for you to come back and be by my side." his words were like music in her ears.

She blushed at his touch and sweet-talk and shyly looked down again. "Of course, I'll come back. It was as hard for me to stay without you." she felt nervous saying that to him, completely forgetting Damian's confession.

He smirked mischievously that alerted her that a teasing comment was about to come. "Did you dream about me every night, because I sure did?" Maryam laughed at that and shook her head in no just to play with him. "Not once. I just can't sleep with Cornelia. I've gotten used to the soft bed at home. Besides, she takes up too much space."

But he had more coming. "Well, I do too. How are you going to cope with me when you get back?" his remark caught her off guard so he continued. "Also, I have this bad habit of tossing and turning. I'm sure you know that now." He winked at her in the end, making her shake her head in disbelief.

"You're just too much."

He pulled her cheek like a little kid and laughed. "This is just the start, my wife." the title suddenly made him go quiet. He didn't know how easily the word slipped off his tongue and how much it impacted him. He ran a long look at Maryam and just thinking about the fact that she was his and his alone, made his heart race.

He couldn't help but fight the urge to pick her up and take her back to his car. He tried to strip his gaze off her beautiful eyes, her red cheeks, and her soft and plump lips. The distance was killing him but all he could do was just sit there and sort out his problems.

"Mom and dad would be so relieved to see you home. They've been worried sick about the situation between us." He told her which made her frown. "They know about this? I haven't been in contact with mom for a while," she asked.