Chapter Eighteen

--Maryam's POV--

Bright lights blinded me, making me furrow my eyebrows. The freshly-cut wet grass tickled my feet through the long pencil heels I was wearing. I stopped walking causing Abdullah to look at me.

"Why did you stop?" he asked. I adjusted my sparkling headscarf and long dress before looking up at him. "These heels are killing me," I admitted. Abdullah nodded knowingly, stepping closer to me and holding out his arm. "You can lean on me if that helps." He offered.

I quickly shook my head, imagining the awkwardness if I accepted his offer. "I'll manage. Thanks." I started to drag my feet again, ignoring the pain. Abdullah continued walking as well. He was ahead of me by a few meters and it was better that way.

I looked up at the grand palace in front of me getting blinding by the lights for a second before my eyes adjusted to them. The beautiful and fancy balconies and especially the big ground spread outside for a midnight walk or a morning jog took my breath away. The air smelled of wet grass as if it had just rained there.

My eyes ran around me and I inspected the other couples that were walking up to the door with us. Big cars parked outside the main gate and with each, a beautiful woman wearing a long exquisite dress and a handsome man got off.

It made me feel very conscious about myself. My dress was nothing less with its sparkly beaded bodice and flowy skirt but the hijab resting on my head and my covered body made me feel out of place. I had covered the sleeveless top of my dress with a silk, violet cardigan, and my long hijab went pretty well with the pink and purple-themed gown I wore.

It still made my cheeks blush when I remembered Abdullah's reaction the moment I appeared in front of him to get inside the car. He kept on staring at me and it really made me feel special. I was hoping he would say something nice but he casually nodded his head and told me to get in the car, making my hopes come crashing to the ground. During the ride, I could still feel him stealing glances but his big fat ego didn't let him be a gentleman and admit that I was looking nice.

That part made me roll my eyes. What was I expecting? He wouldn't wake up one day and decide to be good to the wife he rejected the first night of his wedding. And the worst thing was, I was letting it get to me.

The past week had passed in the blink of an eyelash. I didn't go to school, mostly because I was still suffering from social awkwardness and anxiety. After the kidnapping, it was like everyone around me was a threat. Thankfully, one week of praying, spiritual growth, and getting closer to Allah healed me quite a lot.

Also, Abdullah started to be more expressive. He kept himself quite busy but surprisingly, he would come home exactly at dinner. We would talk a little, mostly about the abduction. He would give me more news on David Wilson's arrest and I would tell him how everything had happened.

It took a great toll on me as being kidnapped wasn't the same as getting into a small fight with a friend or getting your candy snatched by a grownup.

"We're here, Maryam." I was shaken out of my thoughts by the deep voice and lifted my gaze. I hadn't even noticed and we were already in the party hall.

A huge chandelier hanging on the high ceiling caught my attention and for a second, I got lost in its beauty. Then I noticed the tables decorated with snacks with fancy silverware. The hall looked like it was from another world. The people there looked straight out of a children's fairytale.

The women were gorgeous and the men were handsomely deadly. I caught my reflection on an ornamental mirror placed in a corner not too far away and suddenly felt my skin biting me. I really stood out from the crowd because I was the only one not showing off her chest or bottom.