Chapter Thirty-Three

——Maryam's POV——

That was it. It was the last Fibre of patience I had left in me. I couldn't let him stomp over me anymore. I couldn't let him throw haze into my eyes and get away with it. I wasn't that weak.

I stormed out, but my footsteps were light and I wasn't as furious as I had been while entering. The man at the reception stood up to greet me again, Rashid still standing beside the desk. He came into motion when I passed but with just a wave of my hand, Rashid stopped and understood that I was good on my own.

My eyes were blurry and I had a throbbing headache that made my body tremble. But, I ignored it. The rush of adrenaline made my veins pop out but I kept on going. I knew I couldn't return to Saleh manor and step right into Abdullah's territory.

He could easily indulge me in his sorry pleas and excuses and once again, I'd give myself to him.

I texted Cornelia, telling her to meet me at a coffee shop and that it was an emergency. I knew she would get there as quickly as she could because even though she didn't share the same faith as me, she probably had more sympathy for me than Abdullah—my own husband.

I waited for her arrival in the set destination and as I did, felt myself isolated from the world. I was over crying, Alhamdulillah but felt very lifeless and hollow. When everything was going so well, what wrong did I do that it all went down the drain?

For a moment, I couldn't help but complain to Allah about my fate but when I returned to my senses, I scolded and assured myself it all happened for a good reason for sure. Allah exposed Abdullah before things really went wrong and a thousand praises to Him for that.

"Maryam! What happened?!" Cornelia's voice shook me out of my thoughts and I snapped my head to look at her. "Cornelia..." I trailed off and felt my eyes watering. I tried to blink back my tears and be strong because I couldn't let it affect me the way it did before.

"Maryam?!" Cornelia's eyes widened and her jaw fell open. She quickly jumped in beside me and her comforting hand landed on my shoulder. As if my tongue had a mind of its own, it started speaking and narrating the whole situation, without leaving a detail behind. Cornelia listened quietly and I felt her warm up beside me.

As expected, she cursed Abdullah a million times after I finished and banged her hand on the table to express her anger. "That...!!!!" Once she was at a loss of curses, she just grumbled to herself.

"You're going home with me! And I'm not taking no for an answer." she announced, standing up. "No way in hell are you going back to that cheater!" she pulled me up with her and started to drag me out. I didn't resist, because honestly, it was what I wanted.

We got into the car waiting outside for Cornelia and it sped towards the Wilson's place. In my trauma and haste, it completely slipped my mind that David Wilson had been freed and was back in his house. It only dawned upon me when Cornelia took me to her room and locked it from inside.

"I wish I could ask father to help you against him but, Abdullah helped him out so I don't think he'll be able to do much." Cornelia had guilt in her eyes and I was quick to reassure her. "No!" I exclaimed then, recoiled realizing that I sounded defensive. "I mean, don't bother him. I'll file a case against Abdullah myself. I'm going to drag him to court and demand divorce."  then my expression darkened.