Chapter Twenty-six

——Third Person's POV—-

The door was closed behind Maryam by Mr. Fred, the janitor. Abdullah sat down on the fancy sofa placed in the middle of the room, across the glass table. A few refreshments lay there untouched as if they were waiting for just him.

Maryam looked around in confusion and surprise. The exquisite furniture and fancy look of the room smelled expensive from far away. "I never knew we had a room like this in the school," she said, still admiring the brown and red-themed room.

Abdullah picked up a cup of tea, showing that he was used to all that, and took a small sip. "It's for special guests. The education ministers, donation-related people, and others. Don't think about it too much." He said, putting his cup down on the glass table.

He looked at Maryam and smiled a little. Noticing that, she unconsciously adjusted her loose black shirt and grey plazo. There was a short silence when Abdullah cleared his throat.

"Aren't you going to sit down?" he asked. Maryam nodded and moved away from the door, grabbing a seat on the other sofa, parallel to Abdullah.

"I know you told me not to do anything but I couldn't control myself." He started, brushing the awkwardness in the air. Maryam looked at him, finding some confidence and remembering that it was just her jerk of a husband. She didn't need to think too much before talking to him.

She decided that she should show him some disapproval at least. After all, she had the right to make him pay for what he did. This wasn't even close to what he deserved.

"Well, it can't be helped. You've already done it." she sounded a little cold but stayed polite. Abdullah sighed. "I keep messing up, don't I?" his words hit her right in the chest and she started to soften again.

The sorry look on his face almost melted her. She tried to regain control by telling herself not to fall for it so easily but it wasn't every day that the charming Abdullah Saleh acted so humble. Especially to an ordinary girl like her. She wasn't used to such gentle treatment and it felt really good to know that someone was trying hard to make her troubles go away. Even if that person was the reason for most of them in the first place.

"Not... Really," she admitted finally, submitting to her emotions again. That made Abdullah look up. "It was good to see Adam regretting his actions." she grinned at the thought. "And you set Emily in her place so it wasn't that bad." by then, Maryam was trying to keep in her laughter because the images that popped in her head gave her a weird sense of peace and even a little bit of amusement.

"To be honest, I enjoyed it too. That Adam guy was definitely in for a good beating." Abdullah said, smiling a little. She looked at him and laughed. "I loved it when you told Emily you'd send her to jail with her little boyfriend. The look on her face was priceless."

"I would've said more if the whole school wasn't there. I didn't want to prolong everything so I let it go." Abdullah explained briefly, earning a knowing nod from Maryam. The smile on her face was pasted there. "I'll do that for you next time I see her 'cause she's being a big snob lately. Just this morning, she tried to get into a fight but I shut her down."

"Wow, I didn't know you were so mean." Abdullah joked but that caused Maryam to look at him. "At least I'm not like Noor. She's the real meanie."

There was silence again.

Maryam held in her breath, knowing that she had taken a big risk throwing a taunt at his girlfriend. She tried to look for a reaction on his face but to her surprise, he didn't look very offended.