Chapter Twenty-One

——Third Person's POV ——

That night, it had been awkward for both of them. The wife, went straight to her room, taking off her itchy yet glamorous gown and changing into a pair of comfy pajamas and the husband stayed outside in the living room, busy on his phone.

The night was still young as it was only ten o clock. They had left the party in a hurry before it ended. Abdullah sighed another time as his phone blew up again, the ring tone getting annoying by the second. He almost glared at the caller ID but picked it up nonetheless.

"Yes, Mr. Jones?" his tone had switched, becoming professional but polite. "Oh, I left the party due to an emergency." he stopped to let the man speak and started speaking again when he was done. "My wife, she wasn't feeling well."

"You'll be coming to the meeting, right? We'll discuss this there, for sure. I'll be expecting you." He quickly cut the call before his mind would explode. He couldn't handle this girl drama and his work at the same time. Groaning, he stood up from the sofa, still wearing his fancy tux and well-polished expensive shoes.

Maryam was the first person to come to his mind when his mind cleared a moment later. He looked upstairs, towards the left, where his supposed wife's room was. He kept on looking at it as if she would come out in the same dress she was wearing for the party, smiling down at him and forgetting all his mistakes.

God, she was looking gorgeous when he saw her in it for the first time.

He wanted, so bad to compliment her like he usually did to charm other women but somehow, it was different. She wasn't 'other women'. She was his wife. A person he could say was his. At least, legally.

But he didn't. Because his big fat ego didn't let him. He would rather die than let her know that he thought she was an angel who was too pure and innocent for this cruel world, not to mention breathtakingly stunning.

As soon as that thought flashed through his mind, he got a bit startled. "Why am I thinking about this?" he ran a stressed hand through his silky black hair and then took a deep breath to regain his posture and get back to reality.

He walked to his room and entering it, threw his phone on the bed. The rest of the night, he didn't think about his throbbing heart and the angry damsel in the room not too far from his and went to sleep earlier than usual.

On the other hand, Maryam was laying restless in her bed. Her eyes were glued to the plain white and buttercream green ceiling, which looked black in the darkened room. The only light was from the beeping glow of her phone which showed that she had a lot of notifications.

She almost had tears in her eyes because one, she had acted as an emotional wreck, and two, she had already forgiven Abdullah. Again.

What was wrong with her? Did she forget the horrible things he did to her? He wasn't even a decent person to her let alone, being nice and acting as a good husband. He crushed all her dreams of a happy married life and yet her heart was so quick to forget it all.

Fudge it!

The notification bell of her phone beeped again, forcing her to look away from the ceiling and finally check it. She turned the phone on and with half-closed, bored eyes she tapped the notification which took her to WhatsApp.