Chapter Thirty

—Third Person's POV—

The heavy main door of the Saleh manor opened with a thud and in entered Maryam with a bright smile on her face. Her light footsteps were hardly audible on the entrance carpet and she held the strap of her purple backpack placed over her shoulder.

She didn't realize that her smile was still plastered on her face as she walked towards her room. Revising the events that occurred at school that day, she couldn't help but talk to herself and keep on grinning.

"Ma'am!" A small voice interrupted her thoughts and she whirled her head around to see Mila looking at her with wide eyes. "I'm so sorry! I didn't hear you come in or else I would have rushed to welcome you myself!" she looked worried as if she had made a big mistake.

"Don't worry about it, Mila. You know I don't know how to act like a proper, rich mistress. I'm fine even if you don't treat me like this." she assured her through her smile. Mila lowered her gaze and nodded. "But, I can't do that. Master won't like it one bit. He'd kick me out if I go against the rules."

Maryam shook her head in disbelief. "He won't do that, I'll make sure of it," she said as she handed the young girl her bag. "Anyway, Something great happened today at school and I can't wait to tell Abdullah about it. I want you to inform me as soon as he comes home, okay?"

She looked at Mila for confirmation and when the girl bobbed her head up and down in yes, she turned to walk away. "Wait, ma'am!" she called after Maryam and rushed to her side again. "Yeah?".

"Your parents called today. They told me to inform you that they want to visit you. I was ordered to ask you about the timings and place." Mila stopped once she had finished. Hearing her, Maryam froze. Slowly, a frown formed on her face and she fell into deep thought. "My parents?" she questioned, hoping she had misheard Mila.

But the girl nodded again. "Yes, Ma'am. Your mother talked to me on the manor telephone. At first, she asked to speak to you but when I told her you weren't home, she told me to ask you when she and the rest of the family could visit you."

As soon as Maryam's ears heard the mention of her mother, a shiver ran down her spine. The smile that she had brought home had twisted into a frown and she was no longer her bubbly self. It was as if the bad memories came flooding back in her mind from the dark corner they were hidden in for a while.

Mila shot her a concerned look and was forced to ask her if she was okay. Maryam shook herself out of it and fake smiled at the blonde teenager in front of her. "Yup! I'm perfectly fine. Thanks for telling me. I'll talk to my mother myself. Don't worry about it."

Maryam didn't wait for Mila to respond and shot out of there. A few hours later in her room, she paced around with a worried look on her face. She had changed out of her school clothes and was wearing a comfortable blue Kurti over a pair of jeans. Her black hair was open and spread out on her back, reaching her elbows and she had pushed her uneven bangs back with the help of a pink headband.

She fiddled with her fingers as she walked around, imagining all the possible scenarios that she would have to face when her family came to visit her. She didn't want to see their faces, more because she didn't want to remind herself of the past hurtful years she had endured and also because she feared that they would most definitely cause problems in her newly joyful marriage.

At the moment, she just wanted Abdullah to return home and vent out her frustration and worries to him. He was a great listener and she had realized that over the past two days they had made up. It was still awkward but something about him made her want to open up more.