Chapter Twenty-four

——Third Person's POV——

The legs of the chair made a noise as a maid dragged it out for Abdullah.  The breakfast table was laden with delicious food, enough to make anyone's mouth water. Maryam peeked a glance at him, putting a morsel in her mouth.

"Good morning, Maryam." Abdullah was the one to greet first. Maryam slightly smiled and nodded. "Good morning." He sat down on his seat as the maid put a plate in front of him. "Are you going somewhere?" he asked her, frowning at her perfectly pinned-up hijab and formal clothes.

She nodded again, trying her very best not to act awkward after what had happened the previous day. "I'm going to school. I've already taken a lot of days off."

Abdullah started eating but his eyes were fixated on his wife. She tried to look elsewhere to escape any questioning regarding their intimate moment. Abdullah still hadn't officially admitted his feelings for her and she was still in turmoil whether he was really willing to start a normal married life with her.

"I'll drop you off." He suddenly said. She shook her head. "You'll get late. I'll go with the driver. It's no problem." but he had already made up his mind. "I don't bite, Maryam." with a little smile, he said and looked away from her.

Those words got her startled as she wasn't expecting him to say that. She blushed unconsciously and set her gaze on her plate as if it was the most fascinating thing ever. "I didn't say you did."

"Then you should have no problem going with me." He stated, standing up. She eyed his half-full plate. Silence befell them again.

It had been hardly seven minutes that Abdullah arrived but he looked like he was already done with his food. "I'll be waiting in the car." his voice was gentle and smooth and to Maryam, it was as if she was talking to a completely different person. He walked out of the dining hall, leaving her alone with the maid.

The maid had a teasing grin on her face as she observed all that had happened. Maryam looked at her, blushed, and then got up. "Please keep this food in the refrigerator. Don't throw it away." with that, she left.

Reaching the car, she saw Abdullah already inside, waiting as he tapped his fingers on the steering wheel. She opened the door and got in quietly. For a short moment, they had an eye contact but Maryam looked away as quickly as possible.

The air was heavy as no one spoke but once Abdullah took the car to the main road, Maryam struck a conversation.

"What are you going to do about David Wilson? Cornelia told me that you were willing to help them out," she asked, not mentioning Damian on purpose. "Honestly I don't know." He sighed, looking at the front.

"I'll leave it to you to decide. If you want him to get out of prison, I'll do that but if you don't, I'll make up some excuse to his son." his words surprised her. She didn't know that her choice was important to him.

She felt butterflies squirming in her stomach. He was acting too good to be true.

"I..." she started, feeling hesitant because it was a big decision. Noticing her discomfort, Abdullah turned to her. She didn't even realize his right hand had left the steering wheel until it landed on her hand which was placed on her thigh.

Both of them felt a current when they touched but it didn't make Abdullah pull back. He kept his gaze on her, smiling slightly. "You don't need to worry. Whatever you choose, I'll take care of the consequences."