Chapter Twenty-Two

——Third Person's POV——

Maryam ran a look around the shop. Seeing all the grand designs and clothes made her want to squeal but she controlled herself. "Are you sure you want to go home?" Damian asked her for confirmation which made her gaze shift to him from the surroundings.

"Yes, I'm sure. Thank you for this, though." she smiled formally, trying to keep her distance, especially since Cornelia had run off to the restroom. Despite Maryam insisting to go with her, she refused and left her with her chatty brother.

"But we've hardly been to two shops. If you're holding back because I'm a stranger, then please don't. You may not remember but we've met before." he said it so casually that she didn't notice what he said. She opened her mouth to decline the offer again when she realized it. By then, he was looking around the shop too, placing his hands in the pockets of his brown pants as nothing happened.

"Wait-"Maryam pointed a finger loosely at him. "Did you just say that we've met before?" she questioned, remembering the pang of deja vu she felt at the restaurant. He nodded slowly, smiling a little. "Yeah. I'm kinda surprised you didn't recognize me."

That got her more curious. "Oh! I'm sorry." she sheepishly replied. "In my defense, I did think you were familiar but I wasn't sure so I stayed quiet." at that, he chuckled. "Ouch. That hurt." he placed a hand on his chest pretending to be in pain. "But it's okay. After all, it's been a while."

She waited for him to continue talking. "It's such a coincidence to meet you here, under these circumstances. Who knew you'd get married to Abdullah Saleh, the great business tycoon." Maryam agreed with him on that. "Aren't you just eighteen by the way? Was there a specific reason you decided to marry at this age?" he asked suddenly.

She sighed, not sure whether to tell him everything. Besides, she still didn't know who he was. "It's a long story. But I'll tell you after you reveal your identity to me." she tried to sound teasing.

He nodded, with his wide smile still plastered on his face. "Damian Wilson, your senior back in Rosemary High. Remember the party we went to with Noor? The one where you asked me to drop you back home."

Maryam stood stunned as realization dawned upon her. His words repeated in her head until she really digested them and understood what he meant. Her eyes widened and she nodded immediately.

"Oh! I remember now!" she exclaimed making him laugh again. "Yup. That's me." The expression on Maryam's face was a blend of relief, excitement, and surprise. She exhaled deeply and laughed a little at her own stupidity. "I can't believe I didn't recognize you, Damian," she said. "You just look... So different."

He nodded in agreement. "It's not a surprise. Singapore change me a lot. I'm not the rebellious, reckless teenager I was before. And..." He stopped for a moment to look at her. "I regret taking you to that bar. I should've known that you were sensitive to those things. I'm sorry for that." his head lowered.

"You don't have to apologize. It was my choice. I never should've agreed to come in the first place. I just couldn't take the peer pressure." she replied, recalling the events of that day.

"By the way, are you in touch with Noor? She was one heck of a girl." He laughed as he said. His tone suggested that he was genuinely asking about her. Maryam got quiet. "Uhm, I met her once or twice in the past few weeks but... We don't get along that well anymore," she told him in disappointment.