The Reichenbach Fall (Part 2)

~Two Months Later~

Moriarty had vanished. He came to see Sherlock after the trial; but since then, he had not made a reappearance. It relieved you to some extent, though frankly it was quite worrying. Two months would give the consulting criminal plenty of time to plan out his biggest act yet. And you, John, and Sherlock could do nothing except wait. Today, however, it seemed like the finale of Moriarty's game was coming into play.
You stood beside Sherlock in 221B facing Detective Inspector Lestrade and Sergeant Donovan. You heard the sound of footsteps coming up the stairs. John entered the room a moment later.

"Sherlock, something weird..." He trailed off when he saw Lestrade and Donovan. "What's going on?"

"Kidnapping," Sherlock answered, plain and simple.

He stepped up to the dining table and sat down, typing on the laptop. You glanced over to see what he was doing, but didn't find it interesting enough.

"Rufus Bruhl," Lestrade said, explaining the case for John's sake, "the ambassador to the U.S."

"He's in Washington, isn't he?" John questioned.

"Not him. His children, Max and Claudette, age seven and nine," Lestrade said.

You turned away in distress while Sally showed John a picture of the children.

"They're at St. Aldate's," Continued the DI.

"Rather they were," You mumbled.

"St. Aldate's is a posh boarding place down in Surrey," Sally explained.

"The school broke up," Lestrade faced Sherlock now, who was still typing on the laptop. "All the other boarders went home, just a few kids remained, including those two."

"The kids have vanished," Donovan stated.

"The ambassador's asked for you personally."

Sherlock stood up to fetch his coat. He was walking out the door when Sally spoke up again. "The Reichenbach Hero."

You clenched your jaw tightly. Her sarcastic comments and rude nicknames she threw at Sherlock always irritated you. No, it more than irritated you. You utterly despised Sergeant Donovan. It took all of your willpower not to punch her in the face. Instead, you settled for a sneer as you passed by her, quickly catching up with Sherlock.
You wanted to say something, but nothing suitable came to mind. So, you kept your mouth shut and simply followed him out the door.

***

Upon arriving at St. Aldate's School, you immediately took notice of a woman leaning against a police car. She had a shock blanket wrapped around her shoulders and she was crying.

Lestrade noticed you and Sherlock watching her. "Miss Mackenzie, House Mistress. Go easy."

You decided to wait with the Detective Inspector while Sherlock went to question Miss Mackenzie.

"Miss Mackenzie," Sherlock began, "you're in charge of pupil welfare, yet you left this place wide open last night!" His voice rose with every word he spoke until he was shouting at her. He pulled the blanket from the woman's shoulders. "What are you: and idiot, a drunk, or a criminal?"

You took a step forward, about to tell the consulting detective off for frightening this woman.

"Now, quickly, tell me!"

Miss Mackenzie gasped, staring at Sherlock in terror. "All the doors and windows were properly bolted. No one—not even me—went into their room last night. You have to believe me!"