The Blind Banker (Part 3)

"So what exactly are we doing here?" You asked as you stood at the door of someone's flat

"This has been here since Monday," Sherlock stated, running his fingers through a soaked magazine. He straightened up and pressed the buzzer. There was no response. "No one's been in that flat for at least three days."

"Could've gone on holiday," John suggested.

"D'you leave your windows open when you go on holiday?" Sherlock asked, looking up. There was a cantilevered metal fire escape above you all leading right to the open window Sherlock mentioned. He took a running start and jumped to grab the fire escape ladder. He pulled it down and swiftly climbed up. When he reached the top it lifted back up.

"Sherlock!" John called to his friend.

Sherlock continued to go into the flat without letting you two come up.

"Can you reach that?" John asked you.

You looked at him. "Not a chance." You both ran straight back to the front of the flat.

When you reached the door, John bent down and opened the letter dropper. "D'you think maybe you could let me in this time?"

Sherlock didn't respond so you figured he was continuing to go around the stranger's flat.

"Could you not keep doing this, please?" John tried again.

After a little while, Sherlock shouted back. "I'm not the first!"

"What?" John called back.

"Somebody's been here before me!" Sherlock said as if he was stating the obvious.

"What are you saying?" John asked, unable to hear him. His voice was still too quiet for the both of you to hear so you couldn't tell what he was saying. John let go of the letterbox and stepped away from the door. "I'm wasting my breath."

You just stood there and tried to listen to what Sherlock was saying. But each effort was useless. There was a long time before John began to speak up again.

"Anytime you want to include me and y/n," He said. He glanced down at his watch in irritation, obviously considering leaving. "No, I'm Sherlock Holmes and I always work alone because no one else can compete with my massive intellect!" John shouted into the flat.

You chuckled at his sarcastic impersonation of Sherlock. He then angrily pressed the buzzer again but still no Sherlock. The two of you stood there for a few more moments before Sherlock actually opened the door.

"The, uh, milk's gone off and the washing's starting to smell. Somebody left here in a hurry three days ago," Sherlock explained coughing slightly. His voice was croaky and hoarse.

"Somebody?" John asked.

Sherlock nodded. "Soo Lin Yao. We have to find her."

"But how exactly?" John asked.

Sherlock knelt down and picked up a message. "We could start here." He showed you a note from someone who worked at the National Antiquities Museum.

John now starting to get a little concerned about Sherlock's croaky voice looked at him confused. "You've gone all croaky. Are you getting a cold?" He asked.

"I'm fine," Sherlock responded.

"Doesn't sound fine," You said.

He looked down at you and you looked up at him. The you noticed a red mark on his neck.

"And what's that?" You asked pointing to it.

"What's what?" He asked rubbing his neck.

John now realized it and examined it as you continue to walk. "That wasn't there before." He said.