The Sign of Three (Part 3)

~The Case of the Bloody Guardsman~

It was a sunny afternoon when you, Sherlock, John, and Mary sat in 221B Baker Street. The four of you had thrown yourselves into planning the wedding. You and Mary sat at the dining table, sorting through the RSVP letters. You were basically sitting on the table, leaning your back against the wall. You could feel the warmth of the sun coming through the window to your left. Sherlock stood in front of the couch, staring at his wall of information.

He turned to Mary. "Need to work on your half of the church, Mary. Looking a bit thin."

She glanced over at him and then smiled. "Ah, orphan's lot. Friends–that's all I have. Lots of friends."

"Friends, family," You chimed in, looking over a few notes, "some people would consider them the same."

"Schedule the organ music to begin at precisely 11:48," Sherlock said, seeming to ignore you.

You didn't even notice though, you were so preoccupied.

"But the rehearsal's not for another two weeks!" Mary countered. "Just calm down."

"Calm? I am calm. I'm extremely calm."

You chuckled. "Yeah, cause the more you say the word 'calm.' the more we're going to believe that it's true."

"Oh, be quiet." He scoffed.

You smirked and rolled your eyes, setting down a stack of papers.

"Let's get back to the reception," Mary said. "Come on."

Sherlock stepped over to the table and sat in the chair you were resting your foot on. As soon as he pulled the chair out, your foot dropped to the floor with a thud. You looked at him, pretending to be so offended by that gesture. He smiled cheekily as he sat down. You pushed against him lightly with the same foot that had dropped.

"Jerk," You grumbled.

Mary interrupted the friendly feud by handing the consulting detective an RSVP card. "John's cousin. Top table?"

Sherlock took the card, looked over it briefly and then offered his findings. "Hmm. Hates you. Can't even bear to think about you."

You glanced up and took into account Mary's shocked expression. "Seriously?" She asked.

"Second class post, cheap card..." He sniffed it and frowned. "...bought at a petrol station. Look at the stamp: three attempts at licking. She's obviously unconsciously retaining saliva."

"Ah, let's stick her by the bogs," She said while setting aside the card.

"Oh, yes," Sherlock agreed while you chuckled.

Mary looked back at John before leaning closer to Sherlock. "Who else hates me?" You instantly passed a note to Sherlock who passed it along to Mary. "Oh great, thanks," She said after looking at it.

John, who had been sitting in his chair looking at his phone the entire time, spoke up, "Priceless painting nicked. Looks interesting." He had been trying to get Sherlock interested in a case all day. However, the consulting detective was focused on nothing but the wedding.