The Sign of Three (Part 4)

~The Case of the Bloody Guardsman Continued~

John sat in Major Reed's office. Reed held John's military ID card, examining it. John twiddled with his thumbs as he waited for the Major to either accept or deny his request to see Bainbridge.

"Can I ask what this is in connection with?" Reed asked.

"Private Bainbridge contacted us about a personal matter, sir."

"Nothing's personal when it concerns my troops," The Major said immediately. "What do you really want?"

"I'm here on a legitimate enquiry."

"Press? Digging for some bloody Royal story or something?"

"No, sir." John shook his head and then pointed at his ID, still in the Major's hand. "I'm Captain John Watson, Fifth Northumberland Fusiliers."

"Retired," Reed shot back. "You could be a car salesman now, for all I know."

The Major squinted at John for a long moment. John shifted uncomfortably under his gaze.

"I know you, don't I?"

"Hmm?"

Reed tossed John's ID onto the desk, not giving the curtesy of simply handing it to him. John was forced to lean forward and retrieve it himself.

"I've seen you in the papers," Reed continued.

John cleared his throat awkwardly as he realized his plan was falling apart.

"Hang around with that detective—the one with the silly hat." Major Reed tilted his head. "What the hell does Bainbridge want with a detective?"

"I'm afraid I'm not at liberty to say," John answered.

"Not at liberty to say? He's a soldier in my regiment! I'll be damned if he's going to get up cloak and dagger nonsense like this!"

John was about to make his response when someone entered the room—a Duty Sergeant. "Sir..." He trailed off when he saw that John was there. "Sir," He said again.

"What's going on?" Reed asked.

"It's Bainbridge, sir. He's dead."

The shock of this statement registered instantly on both Reed's and John's faces. Major Reed bolted to his feet and followed after the Duty Sergeant. John was not far behind.
The three of them entered the shower room. As they approached the nearest shower, they could see Bainbridge. He laid on the ground amidst a pool of blood and broken glass.

"My god!" Reed exclaimed.

John walked forward, ready to examine Bainbridge and find out what had happened. Reed saw him approaching and held up his hand to stop him.

"Ah, no, let me take a look, sir," John requested. "I'm a doctor."

"What?" Reed asked incredulously. "Sergeant, arrest this man."

The Sergeant did as instructed, instantly grabbing hold of John's arm and twisting it behind his back.

"What?" John was quite surprised by this. "No, I'm a–I'm a doctor!"