His Last Vow (Part 5)

~Time Skip: Christmas Day~

"Oh, dear god, it's only two o'clock," Mycroft complained. "It's been Christmas Day for at least a week now."

You chuckled as you watched the eldest Holmes brother rub his hand wearily over his brow.

"How can it only be two o'clock? I'm in agony."

"Aw, the poor baby," You mocked, sticking out your bottom lip dramatically. You heard Sherlock let out a small laugh beside you. A wide smile crept over your face.

Mycroft watched the two of you, before sneering. "Stop smiling so much."

This only caused you to smile brighter. "Maybe you should try smiling more."

He scoffed and rolled his eyes. He squinted at you as you continued to grin. "What has gotten into you?"

You shrugged. "I don't know. It's Christmas! And being here...brings back memories."

"Just like old times, yes?"

Your smile faltered for a moment at that, but you shook it aside. "Yes," You stated firmly.

Mrs. Holmes stepped over and smacked her eldest son on the shoulder. "You leave Miss y/n alone. We are glad to have her here." She smiled and winked at you. You giggled quietly. Mrs. Holmes then looked down to what was on the table. "Mikey, is this your laptop?"

"On which depends the security of the free world, yes..." He smiled sarcastically at her. "...and you've got potatoes on it."

"Well, you shouldn't leave it lying around if it's so important," Mrs. Holmes said.

"Why'd you bring it anyway, if it's so important?" You asked.

Mycroft glanced at you for a moment, but did not answer. Instead, he asked his own question, "Why are we even doing this? We never do this?"

"By 'this' do you mean Christmas?" You asked.

"We are here because Sherlock is home from hospital, and we are all very happy," Mrs. Holmes answered her son.

"Am I happy too? I haven't checked."

Mrs. Holmes picked up a basket of crackers. "Behave, Mike."

"'Mycroft' is the name you gave me, if you could possibly struggle all the way to the end."

You shook your head, enjoying the banter between Mycroft and his mother. You couldn't help but continue to join in, "It's too many syllables."

He scoffed again and leaned back exasperatedly in his seat. You looked over just in time to see Sherlock's smile before it disappeared. This let you know that he also enjoyed the banter.
A new conversation caught your attention. Bill Wiggins—someone Sherlock met in a crack den—handed Mrs. Holmes a drink.

"Oh! Thank you, dear." She took the glass and drank from it. She then furrowed her eyebrows as she looked at him. "Not absolutely sure why you're here."

"I invited him," Answered Sherlock.

"Didn't know we had plus one's," You commented with a smirk.

"I'm his protégé, Mrs. 'olmes. When 'e dies..."

Your heart jolted at that statement.

"...I get all his stuff, and 'is job."

"No," Sherlock stated.

"Oh." Bill sounded upset. "Well, I help out a bit."

"Closer."