The Final Problem (Part 6)

"Sherlock? There's something you need to know. The bones I found..."

"Yes? They're dog's bones. That's Redbeard."

"WHAT?!"

Your scream took Sherlock by surprise. His eyebrows furrowed in confusion. The way you cried out upon hearing that the bones belonged to Redbeard caused Sherlock to start rethinking. Why would you be so upset about finding Redbeard's bones—a dog's bones?

"Mycroft's been lying to you; to both of us," John told him. "They're not dog's bones."

Sherlock's mouth dropped open. It felt as though he had just been punched in the gut.

'What?'

Redbeard was not a dog? How is that possible?

"Remember Daddy's allergy?" Eurus questioned. "What was he allergic to?"

Sherlock's eyes were fixated on the screen, as Eurus had changed the image from you and John to show herself.

"What would he never let you have all those times you begged? Well, he'd never let you have a dog."

Tears began to pool in Sherlock's eyes. The memories were beginning to resurface.

"What a funny little memory, Sherlock," Eurus said. "You were upset, so you told yourself a better story. But we never had a dog."

In Sherlock's mind, he remembered Redbeard. A memory of the beach. The entire Holmes family had gone and you had accompanied them. And there was Redbeard sitting a few feet away from you and Sherlock. The Irish setter dog looked around at the beach. Eurus ran around on the sand with a toy airplane. As she passed in front of Redbeard, the dog changed to a small boy. The real Redbeard.

"Victor," Sherlock whispered in the present.

"Now it's coming," Eurus said.

"Y/n's brother, Victor Trevor." A few tears fell down Sherlock's cheeks. "We played pirates. Y/n was the princess, I was Yellowbeard, and Victor was...he was Redbeard."

"You were inseparable." Eurus sneered. "But I wanted to play too."

Sherlock lifted his eyes and stumbled back. "Oh. Oh god." He cried softly, shaking his head. "What...what did you do?"

Eurus responded by singing her song. "I that am lost. Oh, who will find me deep down below the old beech tree?"

The detective wiped his eyes. "Victor."

"Deep waters, Sherlock, all your life," Eurus continued. "In all your dreams. Deep waters."

"You killed him," Sherlock said. "You killed my best friend."

"I never had a best friend," She retorted. "I had no-one."

That last word struck a chord in Sherlock's mind. That word became the answer to the puzzle he'd been so desperate to figure out all his life.

No-one.

That was all he needed.

Sherlock's eyes snapped open, his sadness gone in an instant. Determination took its place.

"Okay," He said looking at his sister. "Okay, let's play."

He started running out of the room, snatching up the lantern as he went. He went straight for the gravestones—the funny, fake gravestones. As he rushed down the path, the girl from the plane began talking to him again.

"Hello?" She called out. "Are you there?"

"Need your help." Sherlock arrived at the gravestones and began shining the light on each of them. "I'm trying to solve a puzzle."