The Sign of Three (Part 5)

~The Case of the Mayfly Man~

Sherlock and John had big plans for this very evening. You sat with the consulting detective in his flat as he waited for his friend to arrive. You stared at the tall, graduated glass cylinders that sat on the dining table.

You inhaled deeply. "So, explain it to me again."

"John and I are going for a drink in every street where we found a corpse."

"Yes, I understand that part," You responded with a nod, "but what's with the cylinders?"

"To avoid getting ill," Sherlock answered.

"So, you're going out for drinks, but want to avoid getting drunk?"

The detective tilted his head side to side as he considered this. "More or less, I suppose."

You chuckled. "Not sure how keen John will be with that idea."

"Yes..." Sherlock pondered your statement. "No matter. The less drunk we are the more pubs we can visit."

"Sounds like it'll be a very late night for you two."

He smirked. "That is the plan."

In the next moment, the sound of knocking drew your attention. John stepped into the flat.

You smiled at him before standing up. "Well, it looks like the party has arrived!"

John chuckled while Sherlock rose from his seat as well. You collected your things, preparing to head downstairs to join Mrs. Hudson in her flat for dinner.

"You boys have fun," You said.

"I do believe that is our plan," John replied.

You turned back to them to say one more goodbye. Sherlock faced John at the same moment. "Ready?" He asked.

"Let's go!"

The three of you wound up walking down the stairs together. As you split ways, you called once again to them. "Stay out of trouble!"

Sherlock looked back at you. "Come on, it's us. What kind of trouble could we possibly get into?"

-A few hours later-

"I know ash!" Sherlock drunkenly shouted to one of the customers in the pub. John sat nearby, barely able to keep himself awake it seemed. Sherlock got right up into his opponents face. "Don't-Tell-Me-I-Don't." He poked the man in the chest at every word.

The man took a swing at Sherlock. The only reason the detective did not get punched in the face was because he suddenly stumbled back, losing his balance.
John, gaining a bit of brain function at that moment, stepped forward to rescue his friend. He grabbed Sherlock from behind and started dragging him away. "All right, enough," John said. "That's..."

Sherlock swung his fist at the air, clearly wanting to fight the man. John pulled him back. "Stand up straight." He told the detective.

Sherlock stood up and faced his adversary. He decided not to try fighting anymore. Instead, he simply pointed at the man and glowered at him. "Ash," He said. "I know ash!"