The Sign of Three (Part 2)

The party had moved inside, everyone conversing and preparing for the meal to come. You stood off to the side of the room, close to the table you were planning to sit at. Your sights were fixed on Sherlock and the clingy maid of honor Jeanine. You couldn't hear what they were talking about, but it didn't matter. You had a hard time not gritting your teeth or clenching your fists.
The flash of the camera snapped you from your angry daze. You blinked and looked at the photographer.

"No, no, no," You said. "Don't do that." You shooed him away and he left without a fuss. You sighed and leaned back against the wall.

Glancing at Sherlock again, you realized that he was on the move. Most importantly, he was away from Jeanine. You followed him. Pushing through the crowd, you finally came up next to him. He and Mary were watching John as he talked to someone in a military uniform. The two men saluted each other.

"So, that's him," Sherlock said. "Major Sholto."

"Uh-huh!" Mary answered excitedly.

He squinted at the two men. "If they're such good friends, why does he barely even mention him?"

"He mentions him all the time to me," Mary countered. "He never shuts up about him."

"About him?" Sherlock asked.

"Mhmm!"

"I've never heard John mention him," You added.

Sherlock looked over at you and nodded, appreciating your input. Mary took a sip from her glass and immediately grimaced. "Ugh...I chose this wine. It's bloody awful."

You gave her a confused look, but said nothing.

"Yes, but it's definitely him that he talks about?" Sherlock questioned, seemingly brushing aside what Mary said.

She nodded. "Mhmm."

"I've never even heard him say his name," He continued.

"Well, he's almost a recluse—you know, since..." She trailed off, knowing both of you would understand what she meant.

"Yes," Sherlock said with a nod.

Mary leaned closer to the two of you, lowering her voice to an almost whisper. "I didn't think he'd show up at all. John says he's the most unsociable man he's ever met."

"He is?" Sherlock sounded shocked. "He's the most unsociable?"

"Mhm."

You grinned knowing Sherlock felt as though he had competition.

"Ah," He spoke again, "that's why he's bouncing round him like a puppy."

Mary smiled at Sherlock and then hugged his arm. "Oh, Sherlock! Neither of us were the first, you know."

He stared at John for a moment longer before glancing at Mary. "Stop smiling."

"It's my wedding day!" She countered.

Sherlock then turned and walked away. You smiled at Mary. "You have a beautiful smile, Mary! Don't stop for a second!"

She grabbed your hand. "Aww! Thank you, dear!" She then pulled you in for a hug.

You held her hand for one second longer, before you returned to your table, sitting between Lestrade and Mrs. Hudson. One thought stuck in your mind—something you wished you'd said to Sherlock. When Mary told Sherlock that neither him nor herself were the first in John's life, you wanted to tell Sherlock that he'd always be the first in your life. But the moment was gone, and you feared you'd never be able to tell him.