25 - Going Crazy

A horrible scream came from my mouth. It ripped through my throat and shattered my own eardrums. It sounded so unlike me, I wasn't sure that it was me.

But when Minho held me, I knew I was the source. I was shaking, with sweat dripping off my whole body. My head was pounding fiercely.

He gripped me tightly as I struggled to escape from his grip. "Ssshh," he cooed. "Sshh. Calm down, Anne. You're okay now. It's not going to hurt you. Anne you're not in the maze anymore, you're safe."

My heart beat slowed down and I melted in his arms. I burst out crying before burying my head in the pit of his elbow.

"This one felt realer then the rest," I sobbed. "I could feel it, all of it."

"You're okay now, nothing's going to hurt you, not with me around."

"It wouldn't stop chasing me, stabbing me. I thought I was going to die."

Minho stroked my hair to calm me down, but all I could feel was utter terror. I couldn't understand how I could remember everything so vividly. You know when you crash your bike for the first time? You remember falling, then your knees and elbows stinging with red blood dripping out. You don't remember exactly how the trees swayed in the wind, or the number of birds that flew in the sky above you. But I remembered all of those tiny insignificant details from the maze, I remembered everything.

Maybe this wasn't really my memory. Maybe this was the creators sick way of tormenting me once again. If we get out of here, they're going to have some serious explaining to do.

={~}={~}={~}={~}={~}={~}=

"Anne, can you get some fertilizer?!" Newt called out.

"Do I have too?" I complained.

Newt gave me 'the look' and I groaned in defeat. I grabbed the bucket and the scooper before angrily stomping into the trees.

When I found the pile I began to scoop. I had to plug my nose to stop myself from gagging.

Suddenly, I heard a twig snap. When I spun around no one was there, but there was something carved into a tree behind me.

I cautiously walked over to get a better look. I could now see it was words. It said, you killed him now I kill you, in jagged letters.

"What the hell," I muttered. I traced the the carving with my fingers, looking it over again.

Who would do this? It was obviously directed towards me. I knew people held grudges against me, but I didn't think they would send death threats. I knew I had to show Alby. He would hopefully know how to handle this.

I left the bucket and ran through the woods. Alby was helping in the garden so I sprinted directly there.

"What's the matter, Anne?" Alby questioned.

"I need to show you something," I panted.

Alby knitted his eyebrows. "What is it?"

"Just come with me," I said, still out of breath.

Ably nodded and response before we trudged into the trees. When we got to pile of fertilizer I searched for the carving. I was sure I knew what tree it was on, but the message was gone.

"It was right here," I said. "I know it was."

"What was it?"

"Someone carved, you killed him now I kill you, into this tree," I tried to convince him.

"Are you sure it was there? It couldn't of just disappeared."

"Yes! I'm sure! I'm not crazy, it was there. Someone is threatening me, Alby. I would really appreciate it if you took my word for it and stopped looking at me like I'm losing my mind."

He sighed while looking to the sky in thought. "Take the rest of the day off, Anne," Alby said.

"No, I'm not. At least not until you believe me."

"I ain't goin' to start thinking every word that comes out of your mouth is true. Not after what happened. I'm glad you survived the maze, but that don't mean I can give you one hundred percent of my trust."

"Fine," I huffed. "Don't believe me. But when something happens don't come crying to me."

I grabbed the bucket and angrily stomped away from him. Alby needs to get his head out of his ass before he gets stabbed in the back. These boys made me so furious sometimes.

I know someone's trying to scare me with that message they so gratefully bestowed upon me, but I won't let them. I've already been played with enough, I don't need some maniac doing it too. They won't break me, at least not today.