28 - No Rest for the Wicked

I'm an empty shell.

My mind is hollow, empty, a void of darkness.

I look up at the ceiling with little to no emotion at all. I barely speak or eat.

All I can think about is the fire. The inferno of death consuming my body.

I feel so weak and frail. I hate that. I want to be strong and hold my head up high, but I know I can't. I'm not like that, I'm too submissive. I follow the rules, I try not to disobey, but I want to be rebellious, a fighter. Look at me now, I'm stuck in this bed with no intention of moving

Minho stepped into the room with a look of sadness cemented onto his face. He was carrying a bowl that he set on the wooden table next to me.

"You feel like eating?" he asked. I didn't respond, or move. He sighed, "I'm guessing that's a no. Just like everyday." He planted his hands on his hips before gazing out the window.

"I don't know if you're listening or not, but I want you to know that when we find that slinthead I'm going to kill him. I don't care if I get banished, I swear I'm going to kill him for doing this to you," Minho confessed. He balled up his fists in anger. "You've been through enough. It isn't fair."

"We've interrogated Gally enough to know he had nothing to do with it. Now we have no idea who it is. I hate not knowing. Especially now." Minho rubbed the back of his neck. "I will find him. Even if it kills me. He can't do this and get away with it." Minho then grabbed the bowl and exited the room without saying another word.

I had a feeling deep down inside of me that they wouldn't catch him in time. I would be killed and he would be on cloud 9. It makes me sick to think that someone would do this intentionally, even if they wanted revenge.

Suddenly the Greenie alarm went off. Another confused boy was in that box, he was going to be forced into this mess. He will wonder why he is here, why he can't remember anything. Later he'll wonder why the trees are burned, why there is only one girl, and why her arms and legs are covered in bandages. If he knew, he would be scared out of his mind.

When the alarm went off the door to my room began to open. I thought it was going to be Minho, but it wasn't, it was Leo.

A smile was planted on his face while his hand was hiding behind his back. He walked to my bed and stood over me. Leo seemed to be observing me, looking me over.

"Looks like it hurts," he commented. "I've cut myself pretty bad while working. That's what I get for being a Slicer, huh?" He waited for me to say something or even nod but when it didn't come he laughed.

He brought his hand forward finally revealing what he was hiding. It was a yellow flower. He twirled it between his long fingers before smelling it. Then he set it down gently onto the table.

"Do you like it?" he asked gesturing toward the flower. "It reminded me of you. Small, fragile, vulnerable." He paused to run his hand along my arm. "The flower also reminded me of you because it grows and becomes so beautiful then one day someone comes along and picks it from the ground. Then that flower slowly dies, it's beauty is never seen again. That's what's happening to you, Anne." Leo leaned in so that his lips touched my ear. "You've been picked," he whispered.

A sinister smile spread onto his disgusting face. "Now don't go telling on me now, if you do bad things will happen to someone. Actually, let me be more specific. Bad things will happen to Minho." He slid a finger slowly across his throat.

I was so scared and I knew he could tell by the way he laughed. He was playing with me, getting into my head. He was making me weak so when the time came he could end it.

"I hope you're enjoying this," he said. "I know you like animals."

A laugh more maniacal then the others came out of his mouth. It made me want to go somewhere dark and hide for the rest of my life.

He looked out the window and sighed,"I guess I have to leave now. We were having such fun, it's a shame."

Leo started to leave but stuck his head in before the door closed all the way. "Don't tell anyone, Annie. It's our little secret."

👹🌼👹🌼👹🌼👹🌼👹🌼👹🌼👹

*Eye of the Tiger plays in background*
Don't forget to vote and comment, you'll be a champion."