18 - In the Maze

I stood at the closed maze doors trying to comprehend everything. It happened all so fast.

When I came to my senses I ripped the collar off my neck. Without a second thought I began to run. I had no idea what I was up against so I took the only advise I got, never stop running. That's what I decided to do.

I turned left, then right, then right again. The ivy covered walls seemed to go on and on and on. My breathing was heavy but I kept going until darkness came over the maze.

That's when I heard it. The whirring, clicking sound. I quickly pressed my back up against a wall. I tried to quiet my breathing but it wasn't working so I covered my mouth with my hand.

By what I could hear, the creature was coming closer. I had to act rapidly. I ran in the opposite direction. I came to a wall with two paths, one on my left, the other on my right.

Suddenly I heard Griever stop moving. The hair stood up on the back of my neck. I turned around slowly to see it down the corridor just watching me.

I didn't move a muscle. It seemed like we were waiting to see who would make the first move. Then I decided and ran left. It came to life and started to come after me.

I ran and ran for what seemed like forever. But the Griever was right on my tail, it's ugly body just inches away. I pushed my legs as fast as they would go, trying to escape the death machine.

Suddenly I came to a dead end.

The Griever gripped my leg with one of its mechanic arms, making me fall on my face. It started to drag me toward it while I let out a scream.

I grabbed a weed that grew through the stone but it ripped out of the soil. My nails clawed at the ground and I kicked the arm. Nothing worked.

I twisted my body around and reached up to pry the claws open that were digging in my legs. When I got them off I scrambled up and ran past the bewildered beast.

My heart was beating so fast I thought it might burst inside my chest. I was scared out of my mind.

The Griever roared when one of its spikes stabbed the back of my shoulder. I cried in pain and my elbows slammed into the ground. The Griever stabbed me again in the leg. I could feel blood oozing out from both wounds.

I felt light headed but I tried to stand up to fight. I grabbed the ivy on the wall for support.

The monster rolled around so it was in front of me. An arm shot out to pierce my stomach.

Time slowed as I grabbed the wound that seemed go through my whole body. I started to fall backwards with no way to stop it. I ached with pain, like cold needles were pricking into me. When I met the ground, my head slammed into the stone. My vision was flashing with black blobs.

The Griever came over me. It had an arm with a needle at the end that was inching toward me. My vision was becoming more and more dark.

I was going to die.

All of a sudden a white light flashed above me. I was too out of it to tell what it was. But I hoped with everything that I had that it was here to take me away from this pain and terror.

•••••••• 👑
Vote and Comment