04 - Med-Jack

Minho and I sat down at a table with Newt and a couple other guys I didn't know. Minho let me sit on the edge next to him, which was luckily across from Newt. I felt comfortable here so I began eating the soup that I got from a boy named Frypan. It had potatoes, hamburger, and carrots in it. (Hamburger is ground beef. Where I'm from we just call it hamburger.)

"Not Fry's best creation," commented Minho, slapping his spoon into the food.

"I think he said we get bacon tomorrow," said Newt.

"His bacon is the best thing to ever grace this fine earth, or Glade for that matter," Minho added.

I chuckled before taking a bite of the soup. "What did Alby want?" I asked Newt.

"Oh, uh, he told me I was second-in-command now," he responded.

"Why does he need a second-in-command?"

"Well, um, I can't really be a Runner with my limp."

"What happened?"

Newt and Minho locked eyes, almost speaking to each other without words. I could tell it was a touchy subject so I didn't press on. This is why I don't talk, always say the wrong things. Time for my shrugs and nods to come back.

After I asked that no one really spoke. Minho mostly said some snarky comments about Frypan's food. Newt seemed distant and in his own world. The limp thing must really get to him.

Note to self: Don't ask stupid questions.

After we ate we took our bowls back to the kitchen for Frypan to wash later. He had at least 30 of them to clean, I don't know how he does it honestly.

The sky then started to become dark, that meant the walls were going to close. I hated when they did. The noise always seemed to scare me. Well, I guess it's better then being stung by a Griever.

The crunching and grinding commenced as Newt and I walked to the Homestead together. I waved goodbye to Minho, since I have his room at the moment, and he walked off to get a sleeping bag. We went up stairs to our bedrooms, which were right next to each other conveniently.

"Goodnight Anne."

"Goodnight Newt."

With that we left each others side for sleep. I plopped down onto my beg and kicked off my brown boots to the floor. I don't know why, but I got really tired all of a sudden, I literally did nothing this whole day really.
I pulled the covers over my body and curled up into a ball. Sleep grabbed my hand and pulled me away into the darkness.

"Remember, the walls change at night so be careful," someone said.

I was shaking terribly as I was standing in front of the maze door.

"Never stop running, Annie, never stop."

"I know, I know," I said, my voice trembling with fear.

I walked into the maze as the doors began to close. At the last minute I turned around.

"Remember me," I said. There was a tiny sliver left in the wall. "And remember that I love you."

Then the walls closed.

My body started shaking, and shaking. I opened my eyes and found Newt above me.

"You wouldn't wake up when I called your name," he told me. "Today you start working with the Med-Jacks."
I quickly put on my shoes and followed him out the door.

Newt introduced me to two boys named, Clint and Jeff. Clint was the Keeper of the Med-Jacks I learned. They showed me how wrap a wound, and other simple medical procedures.

I wasn't really good at it though. I always had to ask for help because I forgot how to do it when someone came in. The dream I had clouded my mind. Who was I talking too? Why was I going outside the walls? These questions and more circled around my head all day.

When my time was finally over with them I could tell they weren't pleased. "Sorry," I apologized.

"It's fine. Trust me, we've had worse than you," Jeff reassured me.

"We got it from here, you can do what ever you want now," Clint said.

I walked out just as a boy came in with a cut arm. It looked bad too. Glad I wasn't in there for that.

I decided to find Newt because I trusted him. He was my only friend here. I found him sitting on a bench near a pole with a multicolored flag. He was eating a green apple while watching the other Gladers. I sat next to him and he smiled.

"Hey Anne," he greeted me.

"Hey."

"So how was it? Working as a Med-Jack?"

I shrugged and sighed. "I don't think I'm much of a doctor."

Newt put his arm around me before laughing. "I was bloody awful at it. I tripped and almost stabbed myself with a syringe."

"Sounds like something I'd do. One thing I know about myself is I'm really clumsy."

Newt took a giant bite of his apple, it made a huge 'crunch' sound when he did. He threw it off somewhere in the grass and slid his arm off my shoulders. I was almost disappointed that he did, but I shook that thought out of my mind.

"I like that your speaking more. It's nice to have someone to talk too. Especially since it's not one of these shanks," mentioned Newt.

"It's nice to talk to you too, Newt. I'm still trying to process all, this," I said, motioning around the Glade. "It's a lot to take in."

"You'll come to like it sometime. Some Greenies, when they come, klunk their pants. At least you don't have to live with that bloody humiliation."

"Yeah, so lucky."

As I looked off I noticed something moving inside the maze. The Runners wouldn't be back for at least an hour.
I squinted trying to get a better look. It looked like a person.

They got closer and closer, then I realized who it was. Minho. He was covered in large gashes and blood. His leg looked all mangled and bent.

I stood up, catching Newt's attention. "What is it?" He asked. I didn't answer as I started to run towards Minho.

He leaned against the wall before coughing up blood. His hand was pressed against his stomach while it oozed blood. He looked horrifying.

I finally got to his side and grabbed his arm to put it around my shoulder. I needed to get him to Clint and Jeff, and quickly. He could pass out any minute.

"Come on Minho, we got to get you fixed up," I pleaded as he wouldn't move. He groaned in pain and nodded. He then leaned off the wall and onto me.

Newt ran up to us and helped me practically carry Minho to the Med-Jacks. When Jeff and Clint saw us they immediately cleared off a table and instructed us to lay him there. They pushed Newt and I out of the room while they started working.

"Oh man, what happened?!" I questioned.

Newt closed his eyes before whispering, "Bloody Grievers." He then walked away, most likely to find Alby.

Grievers could do that?! Minho looked torn to shreds. He could have been stung too, who knows. Why would anyone risk there lives like that to be a Runner? I know I wouldn't.

Overwhelming guilt suddenly overtook me. It felt like this was somehow my fault. That Minho getting hurt was on my shoulders. All I felt at that moment was guilt.

||

Has anyone else seen Mocking Jay!?! I saw it yesterday and I'm in love <3

I especially loved when she sang the Hanging Tree.