Chapter 12

"What?" Kiseki's robotic voice and Shinso asked in unison. They were both surprised, and their mouths were slightly agape by Mr. Aizawa's sudden offer.

    "You heard me," Mr. Aizawa said with a sigh, "I asked you if the two of you will be my interns."

    "Why do you want us to intern with you?" Shinso asked in his usual stoic demeanor.

    "Well Shinso, you have shown me that you are fully capable of becoming a hero. And I did think that the entrance exams were unfair, because both of our quirks work on humans and not machines. So I want to get you into the hero course, but there are things you need to learn before you can catch up to those in the hero course." Mr. Aizawa explained while maintaining eye contact with Shinso.

  Shinso's eyes widened a bit in shock, and he went quiet. He began to rub the back of his neck awkwardly, and Kiseki became a little worried about him.

    "And Kiseki, during the sports festival I observed how you fought and solved each problem perfectly. But, when it came down to the one-on-one battles, it was obvious that you were trying to avoid hurting anyone." Mr. Aizawa explained, making Kiseki flinch in shock. "You're too soft, which can get you killed in the future if you don't toughen up now. It makes me question how you planned on finding the guy tha- "

  Kiseki suddenly got up from her chair and covered Mr. Aizawa's mouth with both of her gloved hands, catching him and Shinso by surprise. Shinso couldn't see her face, but he could see her arms trembling. Kiseki gasped in shock and quickly removed her hands from Mr. Aizawa's mouth and sat back down. She lowered her head and a stream of apologies came out of her device. Mr. Aizawa waved it off and cleared his throat to continue speaking.

    "Anyway, I want to train the both of you because I saw a lot of potential in you. So, will you take my offer?" Mr. Aizawa asked with an intense stare.

  The two students went quiet as they thought about the offer. After a few moments, Shinso accepted the offer with a determined look in his eyes. Then they waited for Kiseki's response, but she just looked down at the floor, lost in thought. She took a deep breath and looked up at her teacher with a smile, and accepted the offer. Shinso and Kiseki pulled out their internship forms and quickly wrote in them and gave them to Mr. Aizawa.

    "Good, now you two should start heading home now before it gets too late." Mr. Aizawa said as he got up from his seat with the stack of papers and coffee in his hands. "We will start your internships ahead of everyone else so Shinso can catch up. We will start your training after school at Ground Omega tomorrow, and you two should make living arrangements so there won't be any wasted time for training." Mr. Aizawa explained.

    "Living arrangements?" Kiseki's robotic voice asked, as she grabbed her messenger bag and hung it on her shoulder.

    "Pick either one of your houses to stay at for the week, I don't want either of you to waste time for training because we have to wait for one of you." Mr. Aizawa said with exasperation.

  And with that, he left, leaving Kiseki and Shinso to look at the door in confusion. They looked at each other and saw that they were both visibly confused. Kiseki quickly turned her head around and covered her mouth with her gloved hand, while the other hugged her stomach as her body trembled. Shinso looked over at her and saw that she was trying to contain her laughter, but she was mute so no sound came from her.

    "What's so funny?" Shinso asked as he tried to fight back a smile, but failed as a small smile formed on his face.

    "Your face," Kiseki's robotic voice replied as she turned to look at him, and pointed at him. "You looked so confused."