Chapter 67

~*~

~*~

Even without Hwayoung's magic, she was a strong bender.

Since Yuta was occupied dealing with Victor somewhere, leaving Juli to fight her alone, she had just been using her earthbending. Not even using her magic to shield herself. It had been a long time since she used her bending, but she still got it. But why? Why did she use her bending on the child of the two people she loathed the most? The two people she could never forgive. Why not her deadly dark magic?

She wanted to hate Juli the same. But why couldn't she?

Maybe Juli was right. Maybe she needed Juli to knock some sense to her.

"Stop fighting me, child!" Hwayoung said as she stopped Juli's punch with her grip. "The Fire Nation was already cursed since the beginning. This nation is not worth it... when all it does is just bring suffering to others. Its legacy is also cursed with it. You all shall cease to exist."

Juli burst a pressurized blue fire stream with her other hand, making Hwayoung retreat in order to dodge it. She had to admit the Avatar was a strong opponent. But who she can easily defeat with her black magic.

So why wasn't she using it?

"A couple of bad people don't define the whole nation. Sure my parents were bad, evil people. But the rest of us don't deserve to be punished because of what they've done."

Hwayoung knew what Juli said was true, but she just brushed it off and continued to attack her with lava discs. "Fire Nation had its chance to redeem itself. Lord Zuko promised an era of love and peace after him, but all of that was shattered by your parents. What makes you think that it won't happen again? That history won't repeat itself twice?" She stopped attacking to catch her breath, then coughed to her hand. She was coughing blood. The black magic really did come with a price, and she was dying because of it. She then eyed Juli back, "I was just merely preventing the second genocide of a nation."

"By wanting to wipe out the Fire Nation yourself? You're starting to make no sense more and more."

"I know you've lost someone you considered a mother. Even when she wasn't, by blood." Hwayoung bored her eyes to Juli. "Let's see if things make sense to you if you lose more."

Before Juli could've asked what the witch meant by that, not even a second later, a long bright green energy came out of the witch's palm and it was targeting someone... which was not her.

Jaemin had appeared not far from where they were, and the energy bolt was sent at him. Juli got to him in time to shield him from getting struck, but didn't have time to shield herself using any elements. She closed her eyes, waiting for it to strike her, only to open them again as she wasn't feeling anything.

"Ten!"

She heard Jaemin screamed in front of her. She looked back, finding Ten who was about to fall to the ground on his head but caught him before he could land. She froze, holding her dying friend in her arms.