Chapter 17

~*~

~*~

Jaehyun pulled me closer to him and made me stand behind him.

"So, you know about Bounty Hunters, huh? I guess it's because you had an encounter with them when you were with Hendery?" Jaehyun said gravely.

I gritted my teeth. "Those bastards are the reason Mai is..."

I don't think Jaehyun knows who Mai was, but he didn't ask anything afterwards.

"Only students who go out on A rank missions and above are trained to recognise Bounty Hunters." Jaehyun said. "We need to figure out why they are here."

"We need to contact Victor." I said.

"No, there is no time."

"So what should we do?" Juli asked.

I could see his jaws tightening. "Will you be able to reach the institute ASAP? I'll have to distract them while you're going."

I nodded as a yes and began to walk away.

~

I ran and ran as fast as I could and as best as I could, navigating through the dark passageway.

They were following me—The Bounty Hunters were following me.

As soon as they saw me walking away from Jaehyun, I could tell that they were trailing behind me, and it was okay. I needed them to get out of the crowd.

Nevertheless, I had to run and tell the institute that Bounty Hunters are in the Infini Cave. That means they know where we are.

"Juli!"

I heard Jaehyun calling my name. I guess he was following the Bounty Hunters. There were three of them.

I saw flickers of light illuminating the entire route ahead of me. That was when I knew Jaehyun was fighting them.

Jaehyun is a firebender.

Of course he is, why am I surprised? He challenged me to an Agni Kai.

I stopped in my tracks abruptly and turned around to look. "Jaehyun!" I said and started to run towards him to help, somehow.

"No! Don't! I'll be alright just get to the institute now!" He said as he threw an intense fireball at one of the guys and it made him fall to the ground unconscious.

"I can't just leave you!"

"Get her!" Said one of the guy.

One of them started to charge at me and I was frozen on my spot.

"No!" I heard Jaehyun said faintly.

I didn't know how Jaehyun got in front of me, but he did. Then he let out his hot stream of black fire.