Chapter Twenty-Seven

Back at the wedding feast, now only Hvitserk, Ubbe and Margrethe remained. Hvitserk had wanted to go to Rona's house and try to talk to her but he was obligated (by the results of the bridal race) to stay at the feast until everybody had gone, including the bride and groom.

Ubbe was laid down on his and Margrethe's bed, drinking while Margrethe was sat on a chair opposite Hvitserk, touching him a lot and trying to get closer to him. She had been trying to touch Hvitserk a lot tonight and to be quite honest, it made him a little uncomfortable.

Thankfully, Ubbe stood up broke the silence.

"To my wife and to my brother." Ubbe sat down on a nearby chair after finishing his short toast. He took a drink., as did Margrethe and Hvitserk.

"Why are you looking at us like that?"

"I don't think it's fair that I should keep Margrethe to myself. It doesn't feel right. We all wanted her and just because I'm the oldest..." Ubbe trailed off. He looked between Margrethe and his brother. "I know that you like each other. I can see." Ubbe smiled, pointing at his head. "So...what do you think? Hvitserk?"

Hvitserk looked to Margrethe.

"I think that you should ask Margrethe." Hvitserk answered.

Margrethe smirked and looked between the two brothers before speaking.

"You're talking about sharing me?" Margrethe asked.

"Yes." Ubbe replied.

"How can you not be jealous? Either of you. Both of you?"

Ubbe chuckled.

"Because, we are Vikings." Ubbe said. Margrethe smiled.

Hvitserk simply looked at the floor, unsure of what else to do.

"Lets see if it's true." Margrethe said.

Margrethe leaned towards Hvitserk, out her hands around his neck and kissed him. Before he realised what was happening, he was kissing her back.

*

At Floki and Helga's house, Rona and Floki had just stumbled through the doorway. Helga, upon seeing that Rona was not okay, quickly came over and assisted Floki in helping her to a chair.

Helga and Floki gently sat Rona down in a chair by the hearth. Rona groaned in pain as she moved.

Helga kneeled down on the floor next to the young shieldmaiden and started gently prodding around Rona's torso.

"Is it your wound?" Helga asked.

"I think so." Rona breathed. Helga nodded.

"Okay. I'm going to need to see your wound so I can decide what to do to help you," Helga paused and turned to Floki. "Floki, go and check on Tanaruz?" Floki nodded, understanding that he needed to give Rona some space.

Floki left the room.

Helga assisted Rona in removing her dress and dressing her in an old tunic of hers so she was still partially covered. Helga then moved Rona to a bed and laid her down before kneeling by the bedside and retrieving her medicine basket.

"I'm going to have a look at the wound and I may have to touch it. It may hurt, so I am sorry." Helga explained.

Rona, who was barely present at this point just nodded her head. Her vision was still blurry. She was boiling hot one moment and freezing cold the next.

Helga lifted the tunic so she could see Rona's wound. It was bad.

"It looks bad. I will not lie. It looks like it has festered. I need to clean it and patch you up again. Okay?" Helga asked.