Chapter Eight

It had been a couple of hours and after hanging out by the fjord for a while, Ubbe, Hvitserk and Rona had now gone to the docks to greet King Harold's fleet. Ubbe and Sigurd stood together while Hvitserk and Rona joined Bjorn, Torvi and Guthrum. 

The boat King Harold was aboard was the first to dock. Rona couldn't fully fathom how many ships this man had! Then again, she had never really left Kattegat so she hadn't really had the opportunity to see such sights.

King Harold, along with his brother Halfdan climbed off of their boat and Bjorn walked forward to greet them. Bjorn gestured for Rona and Hvitserk to join him.

"King Harold." Bjorn said. Harold brought Bjorn into a friendly embrace.

"It is good to see you, Bjorn. Allow me to introduce my brother, Halfdan." Harold replied after letting Bjorn go. 

Halfdan shook Bjorn's hand.

"It's wonderful to finally meet you Bjorn Ironside. We have heard many tales of your successes." Halfdan stated. Bjorn smiled.

"Thank you. Allow me to introduce my brother, Hvitserk," Bjorn began, gesturing towards Hvitserk. Harold and Halfdan both shook Hvitserk's hand. "And this is my good friend and second-in-command, Rona. They shall be sailing with us." Bjorn finished. Harold and Halfdan then shook Rona's hand. 

"So you're the Christian monk's daughter?" Halfdan asked. Rona nodded.

"Yes, Athelstan was my father." Rona explained.

"I should be interested to hear more about your heritage. It is so different form our own." Halfdan stated.

"I've never even been to England but I will tell you what I know." Rona replied politely. 

*

A while after all of Harold's ships had docked, everyone was now celebrating Harold's arrival in the great hall with a feast. 

Ivar and Margrethe were sat together in a corner. Margrethe's face was emotionless. Ivar has a devilish smile on his lips while he stroked Margrethe's face.

Ubbe, Hvitserk and Sigurd were all sat together drinking and talking. All three of them were evidently tipsy by this point. 

Rona was sat with Bjorn. Conversation was flowing and so was the ale. However, after a while of drinking and conversing with Rona, Bjorn left the table without saying a word. Rona followed Bjorn with her eyes and saw that he was now stood by the entrance of the great hall. Largertha entered the room along with her partner, Astrid and a few of her shieldmaidens following her. 

Rona couldn't stop the smile from forming on her face. It had been a long time since Rona had seen Lagertha and Rona had always missed her when she was away in Hedeby. 

Rona stood up from her seat and followed Bjorn over to Lagertha. As soon as Lagertha saw Rona, she smiled wide and brought Rona into a tight hug.

"Oh Rona, its's so good to see you." Lagertha said.

"It's good to see you too. I've missed you." Rona replied as she pulled away from the hug smiling. 

"Hello, Rona." Astrid said with a small smile. Rona smiled back politely.

"Hello, Astrid. It's good to see you." Rona said.

"And you." Astrid replied.

Lagertha put her arm around Rona.