Chapter Three

TW// This chapter does include scenes of attempted SA. So, please do not read this chapter if you think you will be triggered. 

***

On their way to the woods, Bjorn lead the group, along with Ragnar. Ubbe followed with Sigurd while Hvitserk and Rona trailed behind. Hvitserk was glad of this as it gave them an excuse to talk. Hvitserk still felt bad about making Rona feel so upset that morning due to his rants about Ragnar, especially since it was the anniversary of Athelstan's death. He still stood by his opinions about his father being wrong for abandoning himself and his brothers, as well as Rona. However, he would just have to accept that Rona's opinions were different to his own. Plus, Hvitserk has no idea what Rona really went through when she was younger, at least with her family. He never got to go to her house and see what Rona's home life was really like, especially towards the end of Athelstan's life. Hvitserk could always see that Athelstan was a good man, but Hvitserk didn't understand the trauma of watching your parent die or finding them dead, especially in circumstances like Athelstan's. 

There was an unspoken rule in the viking culture, which stated that everyone (men & women) keep their emotions under control and just get on with things. But Hvitserk learned (while growing up) that this was not healthy.  Emotions were not something that Hvitserk was good at dealing with yet, but he was working on it.

Hvitserk and Rona walked towards the woods together. Rona tried to speed up to surpass Hvitserk and join Ubbe and Sigurd, but Hvitserk was quick to catch on to what Rona was doing and sped up.

Rona continued trying to get away from Hvitserk before he reached for her arm.

"Why are you avoiding me? Huh?" Hvitserk questioned. Rona looked at Hvitserk with an almost surprised look on her face. Her face soon went back to normal and she shrugged him off.

"I'm not avoiding you Hvitserk. Now, leave me be." Rona hissed. Rona continued walking and eventually caught up with Ubbe and Sigurd while Hvitserk continued to trail behind.

*

The group soon arrived to a clearing in the woods. Rona and the Ragnarssons would train here sometimes.

Ragnar sat up against a nearby tree while Bjorn sat on a fallen log opposite him. Rona sat next to Bjorn on the log. The other Ragnarssons just stood around Bjorn. 

Bjorn was the first one to break the silence in the group.

"It would appear you have another son. His name is Magnus, his mother is Queen Kwenthrith and he lives in King Ecbert's villa, in Wessex." Bjorn explained. Rona had only ever heard tales of King Ecbert and Queen Kwenthrith and Ragnar's time with the two royals, as well as other English monarchs. 

Ragnar just laughed at Bjorn's statement. 

"Ah, who told you that?" Ragnar asked, laughing. Bjorn remained stern and his face remained emotionless. 

"A warrior who was fighting in Wessex." Bjorn replied. Ragnar nodded and smiled.

"And he was the one who told you about the settlement." Ragnar stated as if he had expected this news to surface all along. Bjorn just nodded at his father's response. 

Ragnar paused for a moment. 

"I came back..." Ragnar began to stand up from his place and walked towards Bjorn, groaning as he stood up. The Ragnarssons and Rona just all looked at Ragnar intently, following his movements. "I came back, because I wanted to see what has become of my sons and my dear friend Rona." Ragnar stated. Rona looked at the ground. Hvitserk and Ubbe exchanged a look and Ubbe scoffed.